Selecting safe bottled water

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by Diantane, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Diantane

Diantane Light Load Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Alderson, WV
    Used to collect different bottled water brands for years and then I'd test the water inside. To test the water I use a Conductivity Tester. It measures the conductance (minerals) of the water. I pour one ounce of water into a small cup on the tester. There are three probes that come in contact with the water. One sends a small amount of DC electricity into the water (usually 9 volts) and another probe senses how much electricity comes back. The more electricity that comes back, the more conductive (minerals) the water is. The third probe tests the temperature of the water.

The unit of measurement for conductance is called a "mho" .As you may know, the unit of measurement of resistance is a "ohm". Conductance is the direct opposite of resistance. This is why we spell ohm backwards to make a mho. In testing we are much more precise. So we use 1/10,000th of a mho or a "micromho".

When I test pure water it shows up at zero micromhos. Water with just the normal amount of minerals that is healthy to drink is between 50 to 75. Tap water also has up to over 200,000 different types of chemicals, because the water treatment plants do not remove the detergent and other chemicals we use. They just adjust the pH to a neutral level so it doesn't burn you and then add chlorine (a known cancer causing chemical) to kill the bacteria in the water. This water tests out at 700 to 1500 or more. I always said, "I'll let the water treatment officials do what they have to do to make the water safer, then I'll filter out all those chemicals before I drink it'"

Bottled water brands like Aquafina is purified using reverse osmosis (tests at 3-4 micromhos). This process removes almost all of the contaminants in the water. Some other brands like Dasani or Nestle Pure Life purifies the water just as Aquafina does, but then add's "minerals" (as they call it) for taste (this is just marketing mambo jumbo). The chemical they add tests out higher than natural minerals so I'll never drink it.

One of the first bottled waters back in the eighties was Polish Spring and it came in a glass bottle back then. It was popular until a news station revealed that it was just New Jersey tap water. Today Polish Springs comes in a food grade ABS plastic bottle (the plastic will never leach into the water). This new water was tested at "75 micromhos" and is the only bottled water I have ever tested to be at this quality (pure water with only the natural minerals).

It is said that you should use distilled water in a CPAP humidifier. Well you can also use Aquafina as it is also purified water. This is what I keep in my tractor (to drink, mix other ingredients like powdered milk for cereal and for my CPAP machine).

So is purified water good for you? The normal kidney function is 65. I drink eight 16.5 oz bottles of this water daily, plus the 12 oz I pour into the CPAP every night. My blood tests came back with a kidney function of 82 (much better than normal).

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    I piss about 15 times a day. I’m positive my kidneys function above average.

4. Diantane

Diantane Light Load Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Alderson, WV
    The problem i, what are you drinking to cause this? If you don't drink filtered water, your body is the filter.

5. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    Don't drink distilled water. Use it for the CPAP, but the mineral content in water is actually good for you.

6. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    Most healthy drink i would say. Vodka will kill germs in your mouth and worms in your belly. I drink five every day and have fresh breath.

7. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    Bottled water is not regulated as city tap water is so bottled water could host any number of bacteria’s for consumers including fecal matter. It’s all about marketing and making money and luring suckers into buying something they can get free.
    I drink filtered city water From home

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    Snailexpress Thanks this.
  8. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    About 4 pots of coffee, 2 Mtn Dew, and a half liter of water.

9. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Aquafina has given me the least amount of trouble. We would buy cases of them and keep on hand.

I have also some training in chlorine in water. It was part of a unfortunate episode that was revealed to be a total ponzi quackery that got the founders convicted in Federal Court Nevada some years ago. That's not training, that is more like how to dupe anyone with pretty colored liquids.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.