Self Defense

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by 19kM-1Driver, Feb 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 19kM-1Driver

19kM-1Driver Bobtail Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Does anyone know if it's legal in all states to carry pepper spray in the truck for personal defense? I know a person can have a tire thumper or breaker bar. I'd like something that you don't have to swing. Personally I'd like to carry my Glock .40, but for one, my company doesn't allow firearms and second, I drive through Illinois a lot. We all know how they aren' t fond of firearms there. :biggrin_25524:

texasbbqbest Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. texasbbqbest

texasbbqbest Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2014
    Minneapolis, MN
    Not trying to be a jerk, but use the search function on this site and there are MANY threads on this subject. Laws very by state.

Something to keep in mind: When you use pepper spray, not only do you get it on whoever you are spraying but you can also get it on yourself. Not to mention having the fumes in your truck either from spray.

Personally, I wouldn't carry pepper spray because of that very reason. I don't know if you have ever been sprayed but its not something I'd subject myself to ever again if I had a choice (Armed Security training).

4. 19kM-1Driver

19kM-1Driver Bobtail Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Still learning about using the forum. Thanks for the head's up.

5. Truck-N-Tech

Truck-N-Tech Medium Load Member

Sep 13, 2010
    in a bad situation, stay in the truck. If someone comes through the door after you, shoot them in the face with your fire extinguisher. That yellow powder is designed to smoother fires, by keeping them from getting oxygen. You shoot someone in the face with that, and they gasp, they get lungs full of the powder. Now they have more important thing to worry about, than you....like trying to get air into their lungs.

Funny how lack of air takes all the fight out of most people. Not only is the fire extinguisher legal, it is actually required that you have it.

But......just to stay within legal guidelines, be sure to scream "Oh my God!!! Your face is on fire!!!" just before shooting the attacker. Would not want to face any charges for using the little red helper for "Purposes outside it's intended function", or anything like that.

6. mickimause

mickimause Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2014
    Central Michigan
    Wasp spray. Most of them have a 25 to 30 foot range. Scream "Bee!!" loudly, then spray liberally.

Puppage, tucker and "semi" retired Thank this.
  7. HotH2o

HotH2o Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Bunyan Springs, Colorado
    Don't worry about it. Here on The Truckers Report you're ###### if you do and ###### if you don't. If you don't use the search function you'll get guys like texasbbq thumping your ###. If you do use the search feature and comment on an old thread you'll get your ### thumped for bumping old threads!

8. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    Yeah, i have a can of wasp spray myself that i keep handy.

mickimause Thanks this.
  9. Caynnor

Caynnor Light Load Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Covina, Ca
    I thought we were required by the DOT to carry at least a .45 pistol?

Mudguppy Thanks this.
  10. bubbaray30

bubbaray30 Light Load Member

Jan 13, 2014
    crossville tn
    if you carry tools, then you already have weapons. tire knockers, hammers, screwdrivers,big mag lite, and maybe a big pipewrench, these can all ruin an attacker's day. let them come in after you and get them in the head as they are coming in. a screwdriver in the eye or a tire knocker to the head will stop them im sure. just open that trusty toolbox and you will have all the protection you need.

11. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    I have never needed anything for self defense. I guess it could be the animals in my wagon having the body function for distance competitions that keeps the morons away

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.