Self dispatch companies

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by insanityeight, Jul 15, 2019.

1. insanityeight

insanityeight Light Load Member

Jul 26, 2013
    birmingham al
    They rent vans but if u have your own flat, yes, because you’re running load boards so your not limited to van

sealevel Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    He's looking for a self dispatch set up, where he sets up his own loads. The rates will be up to him, not the carrier.

4. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    That is pretty much the way we handled it. We did have it set up to where we could do carrier packets out of the truck too for awhile, for the times we needed one while she was riding with me.

That is the way I took it, no one to be upset with about the rate but himself, and no reason to haul cheap freight either.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  5. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Get your own MC?
    Personally I wouldn't want anybody booking spot loads under my MC, too big of a chance for things to get F.. ed up

6. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Why, the carrier has to sign the confirmation and send it back, they have all the paperwork, just as if they booked the load for you.

7. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Ive been offered to lease on with a local guy if i get a truck. I can run any way i want as long as his daughter, who runs the office, approves the load. Which really means as long as the factor company they use will purchase the invoice, so really its just a broker check. Which i think is smart all around. Theyre in the business of knowing who is on the collections list, i am in the business of loading, securing, routing and driving. Why ad more to that?

I am surprised at the overall negative reaction most seem to have toward factoring. I find it ironic that no one says boo at buying a $150k new truck to avoid the occasional $3000 problem, but they think its crazy to pay $60 to divest the risk of a broker stiffing them on a $3000 invoice. Every single time i can sell a grand of risk for $20, i will take it.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  8. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    It's not about money, I would be worried mainly about carrier reputation.
    It's kinda like opening a restaurant, building a great reputation for it, then getting a server who provides crappy service and has a big mouth.
    The server can always quit, but you are left with a damaged reputation.
    Building relationships is an art in the way, some people can have lots of friends and lots of connections, but some people don't have any friends besides their own dog.
    So a crabby (or stupid) driver without people skills can really mess up lots of things. Working on the spot market you just have to deal with way too many people, there are too many chances of screwing something up.
    For a company owner/manager it has more sense to have trained dispatchers in the office and have more control over the operations vs random drivers doing random things in a wild.

9. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Well, that is actually a great point.

10. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I reckon that could be a problem, actually know it could if a guy just took on anybody.
    I had a couple of guys run under me, but I knew them well and am pretty picky to start with, well make that real picky about who drives one of mine or under my name.
    I eventually went back to pretty much just driving myself too.

11. RStewart

RStewart Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Norman, OK
    I book my loads and do the rate cons all from my phone. Never pull my laptop out. Carrier handles the carrier packets for me.

I used to give up 25% of a companies rates but I was boxed in by them because I was only allowed to use their load board. It really limited me. Now I get 90% of whatever rate I negotiate with brokers and I have a lot more freight available to choose from. I don't feel boxed in anymore.

No they don't. I do all my own rate cons. Carrier only handles carrier packets.

sealevel and Lepton1 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.