Self Dispatching

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by JonasTtrucker, Oct 17, 2018.

1. RaRa

RaRa Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2018
    whats your gross?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Not enough neither way.
    I grossed $148,000 in 2014 in my own truck. $75,000 was my fiel bill. No apu.
    Company driver now. Gross not worth mentioning. I live in a stupid area.

kenn2632 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  4. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Just plain lazy I guess.
    I dont wanna deal with brokers.
    I dont wanna spend time on ar/so
    I like knowing if something happened. Like I blew my engine in the middle of winter, during a snow storm in Wyoming. I dont have to spend my money ot credit if i dont want to. Cause my company has my back. And will pay the bill yo repair/replace and Bill me back interest free over an agreed upon time frame.
    I like knowing i paid my dues over time. So i am top dog. So there is always work year round.
    I like not having a sales staff. So i dont have to chase customers down.
    I like knowing whatever price I agreed on. (Yes I make them pay more when its to cheap) i will see in my checking account next wednesday.
    Sure I could probably gross more on my own. But paying a one man show prices for everything. Would I NET more and are the extra time and headaches worth it. For me NO maybe 10-15 years ago. But not today.

Tug Toy and Oldironfan Thank this.
  5. againstthewind

againstthewind Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    if i make 100k a year as a company driver and want to take a month off but cant then the 100k doesnt do me any good, maybe in retirement but my lifestyle doesnt require that much money so lucky me. and if your making 100k a yr and cant afford a month off then i would say your happiness is more expensive than mine.

6. Oldironfan

May 22, 2017
    You do have a very good point.

I would add being unable to drive home, when dispatch fumbles the ball and cant get a load.
    The waiting game is one I dont like to play.

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  7. SoCalRed

SoCalRed Medium Load Member

Feb 7, 2017
    CA
    That’s $5800 a week. Hard to do unless you hall OS OD.
    With general freight I don’t think that’s possible. Live in the truck, not take any time off maybe.
    However it’s all about the net.

8. heavyhaulerss

heavyhaulerss Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2009
    AL/TN BORDER
    This is me

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  9. Oldironfan

May 22, 2017
    I forgot to mention I've spoke to some independents that make about $300k and take 2 or 3 months off in the winter.

You can gross $6000 per week running 50% deadhead hauling bulk potatoes.

jsnell Thanks this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    In the old time you did run say late Feb straight through until end of October which is pretty much here now. You saved like 40K or so dollars as you did nothing to spend that money specifically. Maybe more.

He was not prey. If you two lived a good quiet routine towards the end of the year one you could expect with some disclpine a nice little savings.

11. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    I'm doing it now. It's a challenge but I like it. There is just enough time to run the office in the back of the truck while waiting on all the things we wait on (docks, DOT hours, resets, etc.)

It never sleeps. It is NOT for the lazy. You have to constantly think ahead but I still get home every weekend and can turn it all off and relax if I planned well that week for the next week.

I have lived my life working for others and always unhappy. I believe if you want it done right do it yourself, so I am. Very satisfying.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.