Self-Employment History

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by BlackCotton, Jan 20, 2011.

1. REDD

REDD The Legend

Jun 29, 2009
    Dueling Banjoville

No! I want it here!!!

I got a question though... Ironpony is so adament that Prime is a good company.... I'm curious as to what his/her trucking experience is & with what companies?

The first company I ever drove for was a good company also.... While i was driving for them. Now I look back and wonder why I wasted my time making less money & being treated like a low life hillbilly.

Rerun8963 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Naughty Scotty

Naughty Scotty Bobtail Member

I was a TT driver for several years and then took 12 or more off and am now looking to get back in. I have no CMV work in the last 10, but I was self employed as a sub contractor.

It seems much easier and less red flags to explain away by showing employment under anyone other then yourself. I worked closely with a handful of General Contractors for the most part. It's kinda like I was actually their employee, just the compensation was handled differently then punching a time clock and putting in my hours. (Kinda like trucking haha)

So anyway, what are everyones thoughts on me just listing the Generals as my employers and submitting references? I did technically work FOR THEM and considering it was not related in any way with CMV's is there really any harm?

4. Rerun8963

Rerun8963 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2006
    ova-hereee

his age..55....his experience...3 years....probably a guy that lost his job from some other industry and was out of work for a long time, went to trucking school and got hired on by the only company that hired him right out of school and is just so happy he's got a job in these times....

to the o/p, forget about prime..you went above and beyond the norm to prove yourself...trust me, there are other companies out there....

zentrucking Thanks this.
  5. Rerun8963

Mar 30, 2006
    ova-hereee
    you can try it both ways...try prime yourself and see if they put you into this same BS as the o/p...but at the same time, apply to others using the other method you speak of....let us know how YOU DO with prime..

6. zentrucking

zentrucking Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Atlanta
    Probably has more to do with insurance than anything else ... and riskier companies ( such as those that employ students) - will have stricter guidelines.

I would have to agree to look elsewhere - and you're in the right place to find a better option.

7. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Yeah, there are other companies out there. And this one is better than most - I don't need to screw-up the deal I have now by making the mistake of changing just to find out that I was in a better situation in the first place.

And yeah, this is a career change for me - and no, Prime is not the first company that extended an employment offer to me. Whatsa matter rerun? This the only place you can make a mark in?

8. REDD

REDD The Legend

Jun 29, 2009
    Dueling Banjoville
    And that is good... As long as he/she is content with the company & feels comfortable, the more power to them. But it still doesn't mean that Prime is a good company.

I'm only on my 5th. company.... Well 6th if you want to count that week I drove for Coca-Cola.... And 1 of them was a local sand & gravel joint.

I don't step backwards.... Every step forward I take, I look back & wonder why the hell did I waste so much time there? It's just taking that first step that is hard.

Big Duker Thanks this.
  9. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Well I'm glad for ya Redd! I like where I'm at, the pay is good, and the last couple of years when freight was in the tank my wheels were turning while many drivers were sitting at the truckstop biotchin' about why their wheels weren't turning.

Works for me... for right now.

10. Rerun8963

Mar 30, 2006
    ova-hereee
    then prime NOT being the first company you were offered employment, this means its the only one you have been with since you left school.....??

i am every where.......i'm even in your brain right now, like that song you hear first thing in the morning, and you can't get rd of it...

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  11. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    (e) An employer may require an applicant to provide additional information.

(c)(2) The dates the applicant was employed by these employers;

Just as much does the company have to prove when you drove. They have to show when you didn't drive.

The big companies are thorough compared to the littler ones. If they weren't any driver that got fired can hide it. Anybody can say they were self employed. Anybody can say they were unemployed. Only 1/3 of the companies use DAC. CSA2010 is just getting started.

These rules are there to protect us too.

Some Meth head starts a job and gets fired right away for failing a drug test. Well he can just get a non-DAC job and say he was unemployed that month. Nobody would know different.

I'm glad they dig in that sense. I don't want that Meth head on the road with me.

ironpony Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.