Selling Stuff from Storage Unit

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by insipidtoast, Aug 5, 2019.

1. insipidtoast

insipidtoast Heavy Load Member

Nov 22, 2016
    Planet Earth
    When I started otr over two years ago, I wasn’t sure it would last. So, my wife and I put our stuff in a storage unit where we were living at the time.

Since then, we’ve changed our address to a family member’s house in a non-income tax state.

It’s becoming clear to my wife and I that we’ll probably be otr for at least the next couple years, so it doesn’t make sense to spend $1000 per year on storage anymore.

Problem is I’d have to request hometime in our old town, and I’m not sure it would be enough time to sell everything.

Are there companies like pawn shops that are willing to take all your stuff from storage and sell on consignment? That would be a lot easier than finding one buyer for each item.

We have three high ticket items that could still be worth $500-$1000 each. And a queen size bed. The rest is all junk.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Maybe the owner of the storage facility has some ideas.

4. insipidtoast

insipidtoast Heavy Load Member

Nov 22, 2016
    Planet Earth
    It wouldn’t hurt to ask, but why would they help lose one of their customers?

5. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    The best thing might be to rent a u-haul and take your stuff to donate to Goodwill. Word to the wise, they may not take mattresses.

rabbiporkchop and SoCalRed Thank this.
  6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    The owner knows you're leaving anyway. Probably not the first time the owner has helped a renter get rid of stuff.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Goodwill and Salvation Army will go get the stuff and haul it away.

Flat Earth Trucker and Lepton1 Thank this.
  8. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Not to mention that if you simply donate the stuff you can write it off and save time. If you really have anything of value, find a swap meet somewhere and try to time your truck rental and time off with the weekend swap meet.

The thing is you are paying storage. How much have you already paid? It's probably money ahead to just get rid of that overhead, save the money, then buy new stuff when you ever decide to settle down again.

Many a husband and wife team have done this, gone OTR to save money and sock away some savings. Get rid of the dead weight of "stuff", especially if you are paying for the privilege of never seeing it.

9. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    If one goes this route, might as well just stop paying for storage. The storage place will just auction it off .
    That way the op has to do nothing.

10. zaroba

zaroba Heavy Load Member

Aug 28, 2012
    South East PA
    If you want it all gone quick you could try to sell or auction off the contents of the storage unit as a whole. Wont get as much as if you sold it piece by piece, but it will all be gone at once and you will get something for it. The manager of the facility could probably help you with that as they probably have experience from auctioning the units when somebody stops paying the fee and they 'repo' the unit.

Don't know if it's still around, but there was even a tv show called Storage Wars that was based on this.

11. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    the owner of the storage unit has auctions from time to time for those units that are way behind in thier rental fee's.

go see him/her and ask about selling your stuff at auction, and what would be his percentage of the sale.

you will most likely have to sign over some papers, giving up your stuff, for an auction.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.