Semi-serious blunder at intersection

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Florescent-android92, May 17, 2022.

1. Another Canadian driver

Another Canadian driver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2021
    ALBERTA
    This method actually works perfectly fine.
    Believe it or not.

88228822 and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bumper Jack

bumper Jack Heavy Load Member

Dec 5, 2021
    To the point of quitting a job?

4. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    That was the view the police officer had when I did the same thing in those conditions ...

5. supergreatguy

supergreatguy Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2020
    Any green light you’re coming up to is likely going to turn yellow. Approach a green light already covering brakes, and don’t play the run and gun game. It’s anxiety inducing if you’re always trying to make it through.

green: approach covering brake
    yellow: obviously bring it down
    red: if far enough, ride low gear until stop

or you can follow my 6 year olds idea of it

green: go
    yellow: “speed the hell up”
    red: “GET OUT OF MY WAY TRAFFIC”

6. 88228822

88228822 Heavy Load Member

Sep 26, 2018
    Your choices leading up to that moment created the situation you found yourself in.

If you expect 4 wheelers to do the dumbest thing possible in any scenario, you will rarely be disappointed.

Just because YOU wouldn't lock up the brakes for a yellow doesn't mean that other people won't...

7. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    This is so true. A couple years ago, some guy named Renegade Truck, I think he was on here, made a video and CDL life shared it. Most people were sympathetic, but most here said the same thing. "Why are you blowing your horn at cars that are passing you on the right? That's what 4 wheelers do!"

8. Pat Riot

Pat Riot Bobtail Member

Nov 9, 2021
    So i have less time CDL than you but 20 years of driving F350 with horses on from 22 to 38 foot trailers— what I learned over the years is always allow your following distance to increase to more than what you might think. And if people cut in or get impatient dont let it get to you! I had a hard stop a few months ago at a stoplight i was sure my brakes were failing— i did not run the red but it was a pucker 9 situation and I barely made the stop. When I got home and opened the trailer doors— the whole load had shifted forward by 5 feet ( we carry hay so the van is always jammed) .. the farmer had not loaded a full load as the hay had gotten stuck partway in as he was pushing the bundles. I wanted to quit for a minute but got over it. I hope you do too.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2022
  9. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Well, it wasn’t for me the first time I had that happen, but the OP only has about a year and a half under his belt. In this day and age with trucks that drive more and more like big cars, I think people might take longer than that to toughen up and grow into the job.

God willing, they eventually do.

10. Florescent-android92

Florescent-android92 Light Load Member

Nov 21, 2021
    I did get over it and am back to normal + an extra 20 meters following distance, lol! I used to be that farmer who received the hay actually, I miss the days of cattle management, when at least folk weren't actively trying to get me to assist in their suicide

11. Florescent-android92

Florescent-android92 Light Load Member

Nov 21, 2021
    I've actually driven trucks since I was 12, I just never been licensed, or driven in cities for that matter. It's a learning curve since all iv done is Alberta Sask northern BC highway and fertiliser spreading

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.