SemiTractor towing RV/ Camper

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by jnm, Mar 18, 2020.

1. jnm

jnm Bobtail Member

Oct 17, 2013
    OKC
    We own a commercial tractor but have covered the company markings and DOT markings with tape and put NOT FOR HIRE over the tape.

Do we still have to stop at weigh stations?
    It’s to my understanding that the answer is No. Because we have covered the necessary commercial markings, and placed “Not For Hire” sign on the doors, we are no longer considered commercial and standard DOT regulations no longer apply. It’s to my understanding that we are now considered non-commercial. Please correct me if I’m mistaken.

I should also mention that we are driving from Southern California to Southern Oregon.

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    You are still a cmv, so you must follow all cmv rules. Yes to weigh stations that want all cmv's and by weight.
    The not for hire is a useless sign that means nothing and might even get you pulled in to verify personal use.

brian991219 Thanks this.
  4. jnm

jnm Bobtail Member

Oct 17, 2013
    OKC
    It’s pretty obvious it’s for personal use having an RV on the back.

5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Or you could be hauling RV's for a living transporting to dealerships. Not saying you are, but dot catches a fair few trying to haul rv's and running non-commercial.
    That said I would make sure you have a copy of your rv registration in your name just in case.

Western flyer and brian991219 Thank this.
  6. jnm

jnm Bobtail Member

Oct 17, 2013
    OKC
    Welp our Prepass gave us a green light so we’re good anyways! Yay! Thanks for the rapid response though!

baha and Flat Earth Trucker Thank this.
  7. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    I like a green light from a Prepass. :)

8. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Covering up the DOT number doesn't magically turn it into a non-comercial vehicle...

Even if your using it to take the boat out to the lake for a personal trip.

brian991219, ZVar and not4hire Thank this.
  9. Expeditor

Expeditor Medium Load Member

Mar 5, 2018
    Why would you have a prepass on a personal vehicle? Prepass is made for commercial vehicles. If the plates are commercial, yes you must stop, not for hire means nothing. If the plates are personal, as in RV, then I would think its up to the jurisdiction the weight station is in. You don' see RV's entering the weight station for a reason.

ZVar Thanks this.
  10. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    The only thing covering your numbers is going to do is get you a whole heap of hurt if you get pulled over. As mentioned, it is still a CMV and you still have to abide by all the regulations.

brian991219, ZVar and skellr Thank this.
  11. theSoz

theSoz Light Load Member

Jan 24, 2020
    Typically those Trucks that pull motor homes are registered as motor homes themselves and not commercial vehicles There's an entire niche community around that very thing.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.