Sequence of split sleeper berth.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by dngrous_dime, Jul 13, 2017.

1. dngrous_dime

dngrous_dime Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    Okay, I dig. Say I take a 9hr sleeper berth, and that lets my 14 pause. If I take another 9hr sleeper berth break, then the first SB qualifies as my minimum 2hr, and the second SB starts over with the 14.... Right?

Ke6gwf and 25(2)+2 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled

Good way to put it.

4. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    You are in violation of the hours of service rules with that combination. 8/2 would constitute a 10 hour break. But then another 2 hr break after a 2 hr break would only be 4 hours and would be in violation. Your next break would have to be 10 hours.
    Any two consecutive period's must equal 10 hours or more to be legal.

5. dngrous_dime

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    Not if I'm parked before my hours are expired. If, at the end of my first 8/2, I have 5.5hrs remaining, drive an hour to first delivery, nap 2hrs while being unloaded, drive 1.5 hours to next pickup, and log 8hrs sleeper berth while waiting for my appointment, it satisfies all requirements of SSB....

25(2)+2 and ExOTR Thank this.
  6. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    IMO the Split Sleeper is good for one-day situations to arrive on time (maybe 2 hours earlier than otherwise) for an appointment. But for multi-day loads, it's not a huge benefit unless you just like running that way.

In theory you can save a half hour per "day" If, and only if, you wrap up your 30 minute DOT break inside the 2 hour break, but if you're not doing that, the split sleeper is not helping you any [across multiple days].

Best way to "gain time" on longer, multi-day trips is to be rolling immediately after 10 hours and not breaking longer than 10

Ke6gwf and Lepton1 Thank this.
  7. dngrous_dime

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    Due to my own oopsie, meaning I should have left the house Tuesday instead of Wednesday, I could have made it work. I MUST be home tomorrow night. I'm not accustomed to doing it regularly, although I'll play with the clock to see "what if", so I know what to expect.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Split sleeper is not going to magically get you from point A to point B any faster, other than like I said, maybe a half hour per day could be gained IF you keep breaks to exactly 2 and 8 hours, AND put your 2 towards the middle of your work period so as to avoid needing a 30 minute break. But do what you want.

Ke6gwf and Lepton1 Thank this.
  9. dngrous_dime

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    That was the plan. I know I couldn't back the clock up 4hrs, but as it turned out, the extra 30 saved on the way out here was needed due to traffic. After I delivered, I was hoping to optimize my waiting into SSB, but no dice. Found another way to manipulate hours to giterdun.

Lepton1 and ExOTR Thank this.
  10. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I used split sleeper as a crutch when a shipper or receiver held me up long enough to make it useful.

11. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

This is why most drivers should avoid split breaks or only do it when they plan to do it, not start doing it out of desperation. The chances of screwing up and then having a big violation are pretty certain unless you know what you are doing. IMO

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.