Series 60 Detroit DDEC3

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by RUSTBOXF700, Mar 23, 2023.

1. RUSTBOXF700

RUSTBOXF700 Bobtail Member

Mar 23, 2023
    I will start chasing wiring on it. Cruise control circuit makes sense. Hopefully when my new scanner comes in I can see some data that will help out.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Be sure to share the findings.

Oxbow, JoeyJunk and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  4. Animosus

Animosus Medium Load Member

Dec 7, 2015
    SE Wyoming
    I worked on a truck years ago with this same problem. I don't 100% recall what the fix was but I would definitely try a test ECM.

Edit: I almost remember that it was just corrupt software on the ECM?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2023
  5. RUSTBOXF700

Mar 23, 2023
    Will report issue when I find it, new scan tool is coming in tomorrow so I can see what my data is and what is changing and when.

JoeyJunk and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  6. Smellfunny

Smellfunny Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    South Carolina
    We overhauled a truck once that did this. Ended up being the ECM. The truck had never been to our shop. They pulled right into the stall and shut it off and supplied all the parts (overhaul kit, injectors, bullgear, just about everything). We did an out of frame on it. Put it back together and fired it up. Ran OK sometimes. We thought it might have been out of time so we checked it. Ran the overhead several times. No engine codes. Then one day I got in it to back it out to pull something else in and when I pushed the park brake in the engine changed tunes. Pull it out ran fine. Push it in and it started running like crap. Put a test ECM on it and it ran fine from then on. This might be worth trying. If the truck is a white Classic then you might have inherited it and we never did really fix it. LOL

Oxbow, JoeyJunk, RUSTBOXF700 and 2 others Thank this.
  7. DDguy

DDguy Light Load Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Ont. Canada
    So not all Ecms have the Calibration setup the same Maybe the Spare ECM you put had a Diffrent Calibration setup there are settings in the Calibration specific to Park brake on or off which makes a Change to Certain things

8. Smellfunny

Smellfunny Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    South Carolina
    Not sure. We just used the ECM that was on it to start. Like I said we had never laid eyes on the truck. They pulled right into the stall and shut it off and we went to work. I even spoke to Rebel about this truck several times trying to figure out what was up.

9. RUSTBOXF700

Mar 23, 2023
    Any ideas on were I can get a wiring schematic on this or what pins/ connectors I should ohm out to check for shorts? Also no availability on test ecms...

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  10. RUSTBOXF700

Mar 23, 2023
    Any ideas on were I can get a wiring schematic on this or what pins/ connectors I should ohm out to check for shorts? Also no availability on test ecms...

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  11. DDguy

DDguy Light Load Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Ont. Canada
    Here is a diagram but i doubt that you have any wire issues but we shall see thanks

Attached Files:

Rideandrepair and Smellfunny Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.