Service Brakes sqeaking ....

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by ccway, Jun 25, 2013.

1. ccway

ccway Bobtail Member

Oct 5, 2012
    il
    Hello All , Got a issue could use some help on...
    Today were getting blasted with showers, well eventually it stopped and by chance I need to make a quick delivery. I noticed a large squeak at low speed coming to a stop. Never heard it untill today and tommorrow its pretty busy and Im going to definantly need my tractor but Im concerend... Should I be ? Could this be due to rain ?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    A brake shoe can be worn to where a rivet is exposed grinding on the drum.

4. ccway

ccway Bobtail Member

Oct 5, 2012
    il
    Is it safe to drive on ?

5. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Who cares if tomorrow is busy,what good is your trk if you're stuck on the side of the road waiting for brkdown.Better have that looked at before you start your busy day.

6. ccway

ccway Bobtail Member

Oct 5, 2012
    il
    Thanks and normally I wouldnt hesitate but Im the only one the site so its a position of a judegment call unfortunantly....

7. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    It'll etch a groove in the drum if thats what it is to where the shop will have to replace it to. You can make delivery but an inspection will get you if you get stopped. Learn what a worn shoe and new one looks like height wise. Then you can get a general idea when doing a pretrip. If your shop is doing their job they should catch that stuff during a PM.

8. KW Cajun

KW Cajun Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2013
    Copperhead Road
    Sounds like you're referring to the tractor brakes, not trailer, correct? If possible, try to narrow the sound down to which drum (right steer axle, left drive axle, etc). In any event, G.U.T.A.L. (Get Under There And Look). Inspect the brakes (& slack) on all drums. It may be a small pebble or chip of stone got wedged under the brake lining. Not common, but possible, especially with the rain water road-spray.

9. jbatmick

jbatmick Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    hastings, Fl
    I would imagine what you heard was just a hot shoe against a drum. Wet brakes will squeal sometimes, rivet will make more of a scraping sound.Squeal will come and go. Get it checked, but probably nothing.

10. ccway

ccway Bobtail Member

Oct 5, 2012
    il
    Thanks everyone for your feedback really appreciate it , My PT in the a.m will tell me more but I will get it checked out.

11. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    just get out and look. like your supposed too.

inspect your brakes, if they look fine. don't worry about it. brakes squeal. that's the nature of the beast. most times they go away.

now if your down to the rivet like some suggest. beleive me. you'll defenitely hear the grinding. been there. done that. and that's what it took to get the lazy mechanics to change them.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.