Setting shifting parameters in the engine ECU for transmission

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by Amram, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Amram

Amram Medium Load Member

Feb 4, 2017
    Last year I swapped out the 10-speed manual that my truck came with for a 13 speed. I was told by my dealership that there are no parameters that need to be changed in the engine to tell it that it's no longer made it to a 10 speed and that it's now made it to a 13 speed. They told me the engine computer doesn't care what transmission is hooked up to as long as it's not a i shift. Me being and Care head that doesn't seem like that could be correct now is wondering if there's actual parameters that needs to be set in the engine to adjust for torque curves.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    They are correct. Sorry.

stillwurkin Thanks this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    There is a certain RPM that is high horse produced by any engine. There is also a RPM produced by any engine that is considered high torque. Between these two RPM's on a given engine's work Chart between Idle and redline, your transmission should shift at or be shifted at these two RPM's unless for upshifting you are engaged in progressive shifting.

5. benrab

benrab Medium Load Member

Apr 5, 2015
    Quebec ,Canada
    The only parameter effective in your case if you use the Differential Road Speed Limiter Feature (one Gear Down)
    Because the Overdrive ratio of a 13 Speed is :
    13 Th =.73 , 12 Th = .86 , 11Th=1.00 and the 10 Speed ratio are : 10 Th =.74 9 Th = 1.00
    That parameter is include in the Engine ECU parameter list but like a said earlier it will affect your operation only if the parameter Differential Road Speed Limiter is ON.
    Hope this can help.
    Ben

6. Amram

Amram Medium Load Member

Feb 4, 2017
    I will look in my parameters. I do remember seeing a parameter active that was called, "torque limitation without mass sensing" no clue what that is.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.