Shackle pins on t800, how hard to remove?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Hughjazz, May 19, 2019.

1. Hughjazz

Hughjazz Bobtail Member

Feb 12, 2017
    I recently bought a 2004 t800, it's not in service yet,. So as I was going through it and greasing everything, one of the shackle pins won't take grease. I've tried a porta power and some heat, I'm still not done trying, I'm gonna heat it and use a jack next. I'll also try filling the cavity with kroil or other penetrating oil and put it under pressure with the porta power for a couple hours.
    My understanding is the pins and bushings were done a couple years ago, but I don't know if this pin has ever actually taken grease. A shop maintained it, not the owner. Worst case is I have to pull the pin, and investigate

Can someone tell me how hard it will be to pull this thing with basic tools? I believe it has a threaded pin, there is a notch that looks like it wants a wrench.
    Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hughjazz

Hughjazz Bobtail Member

Feb 12, 2017
    Thanks for the link, I guess what I'm wondering is how hard is it to back out the pins? Can it be done with a wrench or do I need a special socket and impact.

Thanks

4. Ridlingdj

Ridlingdj Medium Load Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Anything can be done by hand but the question is what shape your pin is in and is it rusted will you have the tools or patience if something happens removing it and if you get halfway and give up then what

5. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Snap-on sells a socket, but take most out with a wrench if they have been greased. Put a jack between spring and frame, jack it up and pop side bars off. Pins unscrew. Upper bushing is a tight press fit and one in spring isn't super tight, but should be tack welded in. I have changed more of them than I care to count.

pushbroom Thanks this.
  6. Hughjazz

Hughjazz Bobtail Member

Feb 12, 2017
    Thanks, I'm working on the upper pin on the driver's side, the pin should unscrew counter clockwise? (lefty loosy).

7. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
  8. Hughjazz

Hughjazz Bobtail Member

Feb 12, 2017
    Well I just wanted to thank everyone,. I got it taking grease. I ended up filling the grease hole and a short length of pipe full of penetrating oil. I attached the porta power and pumped it up last night to maximum pressure and left it pressured up. 24 hours later I went out to start working on it and the oil was leaking all over.

I put on the zerk and pumped it full of grease till it was leaking all over. Thankfully I don't need to figure out how to pull the pin Lol

Thanks again

Dino soar, speedyk and spsauerland Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.