Shaffer Trucking

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by Anonymous01, Aug 18, 2012.

1. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    I can leave good tips depending on the service.I don't leave a percentage of what the meal cost.Problem with people that exspect tips are greedy and if you don't leave a certain amount they get angry.If I was working at a place that tips,i'd be happy no matter what they leave,even if just kind words would make me happy.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. stevep1977

stevep1977 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    In actuality, unless it was one of those regulars that actually intentionally tried to screw you over, and I knew that up front, I was always professional. And any tip $2 or more was the bare minimum, although if they gave a buck I'd still be professional, but would ##### about it when customers weren't around. But anyone that tips less than $1 was fair game. Most of the time I'd just stick to dirty looks, but if it was one of the types I described above, who knows how things would unfold.

Lets put it this way, approximately (and this is not a lie), in 1 night I had 15 deliveries for a TOTAL of $13 in tips. That included about 12 $1 + tips and 3 stiffs. I mean, it reaches a point where you have to accept the fact that working for kind words alone (which these people don't even give) doesn't pay for the gas, let alone leave any money in your pocket.

The fact of the matter is, if you are too lazy to pick up a pizza yourself and you are too cheap to tip at least something, then you shouldn't order out delivery.

4. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    I look at it this way.with todays economy some can't afford to leave a certain amount.They just wanna get out and enjoty a nice meal so as long as they're satisifed and come back as a happy customer I won't exspect anymore then that.Also if you do an excellent job one should not have to exspect above average tip from any of their customers.So what if you get stiffed youll make it with with others you wait on.

5. stevep1977

stevep1977 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    I hear you, but IMO, delivery is different in the sense that there are more expenses that the driver has to incur.

And in regards to doing an excellent job, there is one customer that I remember in particular that was extremely interesting.

This guy was a regular Friday night customer, and every driver knew him. He was a complete jerk to drivers and he'd totally stiff you every single time. You'd be professional and he'd just stick it to you, and he'd laugh cause he knew you were pissed about it. He did this all the time.

So one time I got his delivery, and I flat out told myself up front that I've had enough of this guy. So I shook up his pizza like you wouldn't believe, drove like a maniac so his pizza would slide all over the place, then shook it up again at his door. When he answered, I said in the biggest a-hole way possible "HERE'S YOUR PIZZA!!!!!!" with a pissed off look on my face. He was surprised, and might I say, that was THE ONLY TIME I ever got a tip out of him LOL. He gave me over $2 that time.

So even professional behavior doesn't always result in higher tips. Sometimes people want you to be rude to them.

6. franktaylor

franktaylor Light Load Member

Apr 8, 2010
    manchester, tn
    i disagree with ne thing there pattij, if you can't afford to tip someone you shouldn't be going out to eat. but now i just did some reading and this is interesting. Not sure whether or not business follow it but here it is, i'll copy and post it

[h=2]Federal Law[/h]
    • The Fair Labor Standards Act, or FLSA, sets the federal minimum wage for servers and other tipped employees. The U.S. Department of Labor, which administrates the FLSA, defines a tipped worker as one who regularly receives $30 or more monthly in tips. The FLSA requires the employer to pay a server direct hourly wages of no less than $2.13 per hour. If the employee's tips and direct hourly wages do not equal at least the federal minimum wage -- $7.25 per hour, as of July 24, 2009 -- the employer must pay the employee the difference. The employer can pay a server less than the federal minimum wage only if she earns enough tips to cover the difference. This process is called a tip credit.

[h=2]State Law[/h]
    • Many states have their own minimum wage laws, which require higher direct hourly wages for servers and other tipped workers. The state of Colorado, for example, requires employers to pay servers direct hourly wages of $4.34 per hour, effective January 1, 2011. If federal and state tip laws apply, the employer pays the employer at the higher rate. If state minimum wage laws apply, the employee's tips and direct hourly wages must equal at least the state minimum wage. If not, the employer has to pay the employee the difference.

Read more: Minimum Wage for a Server | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/info_7756953_minimum-wage-server.html#ixzz241p8Mdan

for the sake of servers at least that means they are making $725 per hour at least. Again though being someone who occasionally works for tips it sure is nice to get a crisp $20 bill when i play a song someone wants to hear. lol

7. FCW9

FCW9 Light Load Member

Jun 12, 2012
    Baldwisnville, NY
    Allow me to share some of the more note worthy tipping fails and wins i've been able to find...

tip-win-pi.jpg

epic-fail-photos-tip-suggestion-fail.jpg

epic-fail-suggested-tip-fail.jpg
    not even close.....

franktaylor Thanks this.
  8. FCW9

FCW9 Light Load Member

Jun 12, 2012
    Baldwisnville, NY
    and here's the reason "I" buy Digiorno at the store......

5T2kyMtqE0GJdYclc3i6wA2.jpg

Epic WIN!!!!!

9. Bristol

Bristol Light Load Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Florida
    Most servers and some public service workers make minimum wage or less. I think even the bottom feeder truck carrier drivers make that. I worked in public service. If I get bad service I don't tip or give a penny. If someone waits on me hand and foot I tip what I can. One thing that used to bother me was people that could afford to tip were usually the ones that wouldn't tip but someone with three or four kids would tip me sometimes the most. So I suggest you go with your heart. Happy truckin everyone.

10. Guitar Man

Guitar Man Medium Load Member

Sep 29, 2006
    State Of Confusion
    LMFAO!! Ya still got it buddy....

11. RizenPhoenix

RizenPhoenix Road Train Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Are you getting fuel reimbursement in the form of either mileage pay or a per check fuel surcharge? If not then your complaining about the wrong person, your boss is bending you over and giving it to you in the tailpipe.

My employee's didn't drive their own car. They drove a company car and got paid a legal wage plus whatever tips they got. The house paid the fuel bill.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.