Share what you know about dealing with brokers

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by 6wheeler, Nov 24, 2011.

1. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Can everyone share what they know about dealing with brokers.

• Like about how much money do you think or know that the brokers makes on a shippment?
    • What do you say or do to get the rate that you want to make a shippment happen?
    • Any other information that would be useful to the rest of us in understanding the business better.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mgfg

mgfg Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2010
    This ought to be good!

There's be guys here "professing" that brokers regularily take 50% of the gross and 100% of the FSC.

I'm setting up my cooler and bag of popcorn. Better entertainment than I would pay for.

4. 6wheeler

Aug 30, 2009
    The other day I picked up a shippment out of Virginia to deliver in Gettysburg, PA. This shippment was a "blind bill" and when I delivered it this BOL showed where I picked the shippment up from Georgia.

Now I wonder if the company paying for the shippment is getting charged for the milage from Georgia, when it only had to move 200 miles out of Virginia instead?

5. 6wheeler

Aug 30, 2009
    One day I picked up some pipe out of Maryland. The driver beside me said "your going to tarp that?" It was waterproof. I said the broker said it had to be tarped. Of course this might have been to bump up the price a little. The other driver said "Call the receiver and ask them if they need it tarped"

This might save some people a lot of time and trouble.

6. BigBadBill

BigBadBill Bullishly Optimistic

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    First, don't worry about what the broker is making. Just life it is none of there business what you are making, I it is none of yours what that are making. You need to be good with your rate. Don't be one of those drivers that wastes time on what you can't control.

Rate negotiation is all about remembering that the whole conversation is about gathering information and negotiating. A question like "trying to get your driver home" is a probing question by the broker to see how desperate I am.

Regardless of the true answer, how would you answer this?

And your answers and questions need to sound like a flow of a conversation, if possible (sometimes broker is too busy for more than basics.) But you will see early on the difference between an interrogation and a conversation. Be polite, be funny and remember that the insulting rate is not personal.

7. BigBadBill

BigBadBill Bullishly Optimistic

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    Account near me was just lost by one of the big carriers because all loads are no tarp but they tarpped everything. $150in contract for tarping and paid drivers 50.

The smart driver checks before doing what dispatch says.

8. 6wheeler

Aug 30, 2009
    Sometimes if I can work it out. I will pick up two LTL. Now sometimes I have heard brokers say "you can't carry anything else on the truck, its dedicated."

Now how is the broker going to tell me what I can't or can carry on my own truck?
    As long as the shipment gets there in the window of time promised, who are they to say what you can haul?

9. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    To answer your first question, I know of brokers who will only make $25-50 per load and others who will take 50% of more of a load, providing they can get away with it. Each broker is different. If the load is cheap then there is a good livelihood that the load has been double or triple brokered or the broker is taking too much of the line haul.

Getting a better rate will depend on your negotiating skills. If a load is going to a bad freight area then the broker may be willing to pay a higher rate to move his load. The difficulty of a load, multiple stops are all reasons why a load should pay more. Having a good reputation and safety score are also reasons why someone would pay a better rate. If you haul a lot of freight for a particular broker, they might pay you a higher rate or offer better paying freight to keep you as a primary carrier. Each situation is different. I have a minimum haul rate, especially to bad freight areas. I won't take a load for under my minimum. Whether I get 100% of the fsc really doesn't matter to me as long as I get the rate that I want. It is only smoking mirrors when it comes to the fsc. It is still the same rate whether the fsc is broken out or is included in the rate quoted. The only time a fsc should be considered is when you have a longer term contract and it is used to deflect wide fluctuations in fuel prices.

10. mgfg

mgfg Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2010
    That can get a bit difficult to negotiate.

If a shipper is paying for "exclusive" use of your truck and they seal the door(s) then what? What happens if you are detained making your additional p/u or del and it puts your primary shipment late?

If the broker is insisting that the truck is "dedicated" or "exclusive" then the rate must reflect this. If it doesn't then you either leave the freight behind or renegotiate the rate.

11. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010

If I take a load that includes "exclusive use" of the trailer, then I don't put anything else on the truck. If I make an agreement then I stick with it. If something happens and you are found out then it could cost much more than you would have gained by putting a partial on the load. I believe that when I give my word it should mean something. If I don't get the rate that I need with a load and they want exclusive use of the truck then I either negotiate a better rate or don't take the load. I have built up a good reputation in this business over the years. People with whom I have done business know that when I give my word that it means something and that I will do what I promise.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.