Sharkey transportation

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by pobo, Jun 25, 2016.

1. pobo

pobo Bobtail Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Any one know about sharkey transportation out of Quincy IL????

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. againstthewind

againstthewind Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    woman on utube was with them, trucker47 used to be her user name,her name is brenda somthin

pobo Thanks this.
  4. 1catfish

1catfish Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2010
    why have three threads about the same company?

5. pobo

pobo Bobtail Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Just trying to get some recent information. some say do not bring an old thread back from the dead. Others say do not start a new thread. So I did both! But I'd love any information about sharkey???

6. Hunnybea

Hunnybea Bobtail Member

Sep 3, 2016
    Sharkey...my husband just started working for them. Very, very old-school. Older Mack trucks. They aren't bad, but they aren't built for comfort. Not much room, single bed, but it did come with an invert-er, although it stopped working the first week. The bed is very uncomfortable and thin. I bought him a mattress pad to put on top of it. You have to send your paperwork in the mail each week if you want to get paid. No email, scanning or anything like that. They don't like upgraded technology it seems.

Home time options are good, and they have gotten him home every weekend so far. They push percentage pay, which is 28% of the load. You can choose to be paid a guarantee pay, if you stay out a certain time, or cpm. You can switch anytime. The hotel for orientation was nice. It was in Quincy. They hold back your regular paycheck for 2 weeks, but you get orientation pay that first week, and then half of your bonus the second week, and then the other half with your first paycheck, so you have some money coming in until the paycheck starts. The orientation pay my husband got, which was $300 was taken back out that first paycheck and categorized as an "advance". Kinda sneaky there, but I wasn't surprised. They have free health insurance after 90 days for the family, but I think you have to pay up to the deductible and then they cover the bill. It's good if you have a lot of doctor's appointments...not so good if you don't go much.

He has steady loads. They keep you moving. He does have to sit and wait sometimes, like any company. I know this post is a year old, but I thought I'd give info on Sharkey because, when I looked before he started, I didn't find any recent info. I hope this helps someone. :)

RERM and Hotplate Thank this.
  7. Hunnybea

Hunnybea Bobtail Member

Sep 3, 2016
    Update: They advertise home weekends with $900-$1200 a week. My husband had two good weeks, steady loads, kept moving. You won't get anywhere near the $900, and there's no way to see what you are getting paid until you get it. If you are direct deposit, you will still get the pay stub in the mail a day later. There's no way to look online. If you have to take the truck to the shop, you have to get routed back to Quincy...which loses you a few loads and days....which on percentage pay, no loads, no money. CPM is even less, from what they were told in orientation. They said percentage pay paid more. The inverter was fixed...only to break again a few hours after it was fixed. Kind of a headache...

LoneCowboy Thanks this.
  8. Hammerdown63

Hammerdown63 Bobtail Member

Nov 15, 2017
    What kind of drug testing do they do?
    I have a CDL school classmate that is trying to turn his life around but can't pass a hair test yet...

9. Hunnybea

Hunnybea Bobtail Member

Sep 3, 2016
    Urine test.

Hammerdown63 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.