SheepDog's time with USXpress...

Discussion in 'US Xpress' started by SheepDog, Sep 2, 2011.

1. SheepDog

SheepDog Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Sand Lake, MI
    Well, it is official now and I am a certified member of USXpress's driver crew.. I am currently sitting in Tunnel Hill, GA and have a load going to Reading, PA but my DriverTech won't receive the load. I will get it fixed in the morning.

Ok, so let me go back in time to day one in Tunnel Hill, GA

Day 1..this was Sunday the 28th of Aug, which was suppose to my drive test,,,didn't happen, but that is okay.

Day 2..Introduction to USX and what was going to happen in the next 3 days,,sorta. We new we were going to take a drug test and do a physical. What we didn't and for some reason, couldn't know, was WHEN we were going to have to pee in the cup. The woman instructor really seemed like a nice person, and I am sure she is but, she had a bumb ankle that was causing her pain and she definetly was showing it. How can someone be a good anything when they are in pain? Not, that is your answer. Anyway, so we got a bunch of people that are trying to hold there urine and not get stuck with haveing a hard time when it is time to let it go.. The lady tells us, that we only will have 3 hrs to take the urine test once it is offered. We're like, "ok, when will we be doing that?" I don't know, is her answer. Well, it turns out that we are going to fill out some paperwork, get our blood pressure checked, do the agility test and than do the urinalasys. Some were ready to leave at that point,,for sure but, no one did. After all that, was the road test for those that didn't take it on sunday. That was all before lunch. After lunch was some video's and bla bla bla stuff, that I don't even remember anymore.

Day 3..This was tuesday and was filled with more video's and powerpoints and paperwork..oh, and running back and forth to the Orientation office.

Day 4...WooHoo,,,last day,,,NOT! This day was a little more video, powerpoint and more running back and forth to the Orientation office. But mostly sitting around waiting to get hired.

Day 5...this was thursday... No pay this day but a lot of waiting around for the orientation staff to call us in there to sign more paperwork and answer more request that don't make any sense..for example; what does a person insurence company, that provide ins for their Electrical company, have to do with anything??? Here is another one; what does tax returns from 7 years ago have to do with anything??? Anyway,,if you were lucky enough to get "your books" this day,,you were happy. Most did not! I personally got mine but we spent most of the day just sitting around. Those that got books were waiting for truck assignment and those that didn't were waiting for books...

I was blessed; I received a 2012 International with a 10 speed.. Thanks God!

Today,,a few more people sitting around and still waiting for their books and/or truck. Not sure what happened because the same thing did not happen with the class after us..

I want to say that all the staff at USX in Tunnel Hill were polite, respectful and kind. The orientation staff in the office were hard workers to say the least. The are in the middle of the staff in Chattanooga that finalize and us. The students in the class, exp and new alike were more of a pain than the instructors. The instructor that gave the class on HOS and safety did an awesome job in my opinion. Over all, we felt like we were being rushed through, the worst I have ever felt.

I believe that USX should seperate the Newbies from the Exp'ed,,not because the Exp are better but because it makes sense. I also feel they should slow down a bit, spread the orientation out to 5 days total, or 3 days for exp and 5 for newbies. I have been through 3 different orientations, including this one, and this one was the worst by far.

That being said. My plan is to be the best I can be with whatever company I drive for. I will be here at the very least, until my wife has earned 1 year of experience. If we don't like it, than we move on..

mtnMoma Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. highwayman

highwayman Medium Load Member

Welcome aboard, glad you made it

SheepDog and mtnMoma Thank this.
  4. HD_Renegade

HD_Renegade Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2010
    North Carolina
    SheepDog it was good to meet you in Tunnel Hill. I am sure you will do very well with USX.

mtnMoma and SheepDog Thank this.
  5. musicgal

musicgal Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Carthage, Missouri
    Welcome, Sheepdog.........you have a good attitude and that will take you a long way.

mtnMoma and SheepDog Thank this.
  6. WRIGHTRACING

WRIGHTRACING Heavy Load Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Iuka MS/Muscle Shoals AL
    I will be there Tuesday night to get my room, and then start orientation Wednesday. Me and a friend of mine are going to try teams. I talked with NoCoCraig, and he swears it is worth it. I really hope the change is worth it.

mtnMoma Thanks this.
  7. HD_Renegade

Dec 20, 2010
    North Carolina
    Doesnt Orientation Start on Tuesday?? I have someone I went to school with that is starting Orientation on Tuesday.

8. SheepDog

Nov 30, 2008
    Sand Lake, MI
    Wrightracing..I will tell you what I know about team driving..
    In a nut shell, it is better in some ways but for husband/wife teams, it is by far the best. A friend of mine, and myself, tried our hand at teaming for about 4 months. We are still friends to this day, in fact I consider him by best friend, 2nd to my wife ofcours...:yes2557: My friend had two year of exp. over me, I was just starting out. We quickly found out that we are two of the same people and though we only got into an arguement once, it did cause some problems.

In a short period of time, he realized he was making less money than he was when he was solo. So, shortly after that we went our seprate ways.

Durring our 4 months of teaming, we averaged about 4400 miles a week. So, that is 2200 miles for me @ .32cpm = $704 gross. My friend was making .39cpm x 2200 = $858 gross. So, as you can see, it did not work out for us at the time.

Same as with anything, work your numbers on paper.. use low miles and high miles per week. If YOU and YOUR family can live off what YOU come up with, than go for it!
    Just remember, as a non-husband/wife team, the money/miles get split between familys. That is why husband/wife teams do so well, money all goes to same house..

Either way you go, I wish you all the best.

mtnMoma Thanks this.
  9. SheepDog

Nov 30, 2008
    Sand Lake, MI
    I got my first load finally on my DriverTech yesturday.. This load is sweet! It goes to Reading, PA and don't deliver till Wednsday at 10:00 I decided to go home last night and leave today, making it to Shippensburg, PA tomorrow morning for a repower. My daughter from OH, her boyfriend and my son came down, so I had to see them first.

The load weighs 43,900lbs, so I get to see what this International can do..

The Challenger and mtnMoma Thank this.
  10. HD_Renegade

Dec 20, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ok this does not make sense:
    First Load for Reading PA delivers on Wednesday
    Leave today for Shippensburg PA for a repower????

Isnt this 2 loads?

11. HD_Renegade

Dec 20, 2010
    North Carolina
    SheepDog - I have to throw this in there Brother "No WORK, NO TACOS" !!!!

IF I knew how I would post that photo of the bus!!!

mtnMoma Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.