Shifting gears question

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by dennisroc, Feb 19, 2014.

1. 5thgear

5thgear Bobtail Member

Dec 7, 2013
    Missouri
    In my cdl class, 4 weeks long, my instructor always told us "I'm going to train you to pass a test, on 5th week first day, you're going to forget what I've taught you and learn how to really drive." Sure enough, 30 seconds after meeting my trainer at my company "Do you know how to float?" "No." "You are going to learn." Double clutched from Taylor, MI to the Ohio line. Floated the rest of the way to Calexico. I only clutch when the the trans sticks. We run 10s and mine fights going 6-7 or 7-8 if you go even a little over 1400 RPM. Now I don't even notice it since its so automatic

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    The old Ford F700 trucks we had at Pepsi were so worn out that you could float, single clutch or double clutch. Didn't really matter. They were old 5 and 2 speed transmissions with the 2 speed rear end.

4. 5190

5190 Bobtail Member

I've been driving a grand total of 6 days now and I'm floating like butter. 2014 International Pro Star, Cummins, 10 speed. Occasionally have to use the clutch on the 6-7 though, but it's a Penske truck with 46K on it when we picked it up so I don't know if that means anything.

Is double clutching really required for the.test? Indiana if that matters. I can do it just wondering, as I find it not nearly as easy or efficient for me as floating.

5. 5thgear

5thgear Bobtail Member

Dec 7, 2013
    Missouri
    I was told it was so I did. It doesnt matter if you're perfect, just that you can control the vehical safely. We were train that if you miss a gear and you're slow, rev and put it in 6th. Might not be pretty, but you can recover it and go from there. Nothing is harder than finding a gear from idle neutral when you're panicking.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.