Shifting in a turn?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by MacGuy81, Aug 3, 2012.

1. MacGuy81

MacGuy81 Light Load Member

Mar 23, 2012
    Longmont, CO
    So here's my situation. After hours and hours of worrying almost to the point of making myself sick, I took my DOT tests yesterday. I passed pre-trip and backing (the one I was really worried about), but failed the driving part due to multiple small things that I forgot. Here is my question. At SAGE, they have instructed me NOT to shift when in a turn until my trailer is even with the tractor. The tester from WYDOT told me one of the reasons I didnt pass was because I didn't get up to speed while in my turn. He said "I wanna see more giddy-up and go in the turns, you need to get up to speed." Sitting at the intersection, I would start out in third gear, shift to fourth before entering the intersection, and ride 4th until the trailer was even with the tractor, then go up through the gears. That's how I had been instructed at SAGE to do this. So I'm not sure whose right, SAGE or WYDOT. I just want to know the correct procedure, so that I pass the driving test next time.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Giggles the Original

Giggles the Original Road Train Member

you are not sup to shift, during a turn, crossing RR tracks or going thru and intersection...

ewill71 Thanks this.
  4. MacGuy81

Mar 23, 2012
    Longmont, CO
    Right, that's what SAGE was telling me. Then WYDOT said that I needed to use my gears and get up to speed in the turns.

5. ewill71

ewill71 Heavy Load Member

Oct 3, 2011
    mcgregor tx
    this is a law on the books, but how many drivers actually dont shift at these points. and also do not change lanes in intersections

6. Giggles the Original

Giggles the Original Road Train Member

well i usually dont....i shift right before i make my turn...same thing with RR tracks...i dont change lanes in an intersection....too much you cant see...

i dont understand WYDOT saying you need to "get up to speed" during turns...you arent sup to be making turns fast anyway....you have too many things to worry about in a turn...there IS NO speed limit for turns....i take my time in my turns even if they are wide opne with plenty of room...

Keithdabarber Thanks this.
  7. MacGuy81

Mar 23, 2012
    Longmont, CO
    I rode 4th gear until my trailer was even with the tractor, then went up through the gears. I made sure both were completely in the lane, then shifted from 4th. I'm just trying to figure out where I went wrong so that I don't do it again. The other things I did wrong on my test, I knew were wrong right after I did them. Such as, I forgot to use 4-ways at a train crossing (non-hazmat), and during an emergency stop, the left corner of my trailer stuck out in the road 6 inches. Those things I knew was wrong after I did them. I also guess I have a bad habit when driving a manual, that I drive with one hand on the wheel, one hand on the gearshift. I also missed an overpass height sign. Those are all simple "slap on the hands, dont do it again" things I can fix, but the turn thing still has me confused.

8. Gulf Coast Trucker

Gulf Coast Trucker Light Load Member

Jun 12, 2012
    Tampa, FL
    I was taught the same way you described if there's room to up shift before turning then do so. You should of asked the WYDOT to explain more in depth cause that doesn't make sense. I would ask the
    instructor before you start your next test or speak to someone at Sage regarding it.
    Good Luck !

9. chompi

chompi Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Deland, FL
    Maybe it was a new guy giving the test.

In the real world it is going to totally depend on the situation. If it is a tight turn or there are vehicles in the way you will have to slow down or even stop to wait for them to back out of the way. If you are loaded high with liquid you certainly don't want to be slinging around a turn above 4th gear. In that case yes I personally would wait until I get a little more straightened out until I start banging through gears! As an owner operator the slower you take those turns the longer your tires will last.

I think a big factor is that your instructor for the test has probably never driven a big truck and is only going by what he read in the manual the night before.

If you would keep us posted and let us know what they told you when you ask at SAGE.

10. MacGuy81

Mar 23, 2012
    Longmont, CO
    First, I asked the Director at our SAGE, and she agreed with the WYDOT tester. I asked the instructors at SAGE and they said that WYDOT wanted us NOT to shift until the trailer was even with the tractor. I have been looking this morning in my Wyoming CDL manual to see if I can find out what it says.

11. chompi

chompi Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Deland, FL
    Ya I guess maybe you got a new guy or something. I would go back to the DMV and argue your case. Maybe your instructor can make a call or go with you. If this was the way you were trained and what was originally expected of you then there shouldn't have been an issue during testing.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.