Shifting in a turn?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by MacGuy81, Aug 3, 2012.

1. MacGuy81

MacGuy81 Light Load Member

Mar 23, 2012
    Longmont, CO
    According to the Wyoming CDL Manual:
    When Ready to Turn:
    1. Check traffic in all directions
    2. Keep both hands on the steering wheel during the turn
    3. DO NOT CHANGE GEARS DURING THE TURN
    4. Keep checking your mirror to make sure the vehicle does not hit anything on the inside of the turn
    5. Vehicle should not move into oncoming traffic
    6. Vehicle should finish turn in correct lane

Giggles the Original and CAXPT Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. chompi

chompi Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Deland, FL
    I would bring this to DOT and have them compare with your test results. Obviously you did what was expected of you and all according to WYDOT manual.

4. Giggles the Original

Giggles the Original Road Train Member

see...you found your own answer..lol..and i have never heard of 4 ways at RR either unless it is haz mat, which you said it wasnt....

as for trl out of lane in an EMERGENCY stop....hello...you didnt PLAN on it...do you mean like had to slam on your brakes because of something happened in front of you?? yes you are sup to maintain lane control..need more details on your emergency stop...

CAXPT Thanks this.
  5. Carson946

Carson946 Light Load Member

Jul 26, 2012
    Arkansas Mountain View
    When I did my Drivers Test the lady never did ask me anything, Just told me where to turn at! Never did and emergency stop. Nothing with 4ways!

6. Giggles the Original

Giggles the Original Road Train Member

Subpart B - Driving of commercial motor vehicles

§ 392.10
    Railroad grade crossings; stopping required.(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, the driver of a commercial motor vehicle specified in paragraphs (a) (1) through (6) of this section shall not cross a railroad track or tracks at grade unless he/she first: Stops the commercial motor vehicle within 50 feet of, and not closer than 15 feet to, the tracks; thereafter listens and looks in each direction along the tracks for an approaching train; and ascertains that no train is approaching. When it is safe to do so, the driver may drive the commercial motor vehicle across the tracks in a gear that permits the commercial motor vehicle to complete the crossing without a change of gears. The driver must not shift gears while crossing the tracks.
    (1) Every bus transporting passengers,
    (2) Every commercial motor vehicle transporting any quantity of a Division 2.3 chlorine.
    (3) Every commercial motor vehicle which, in accordance with the regulations of the Department of Transportation, is required to be marked or placarded with one of the following classifications
    :
    (i) Division 1.1(ii) Division 1.2, or Division 1.3(iii) Division 2.3 Poison gas(iv) Division 4.3(v) Class 7(vi) Class 3 Flammable(vii) Division 5.1(viii) Division 2.2(ix) Division 2.3 Chlorine(x) Division 6.1 Poison(xi) Division 2.2 Oxygen(xii) Division 2.1(xiii) Class 3 Combustible liquid(xiv) Division 4.1(xv) Division 5.1(xvi) Division 5.2(xvii) Class 8(xviii) Division 1.4
    (4) Every cargo tank motor vehicle, whether loaded or empty, used for the transportation of any hazardous material as defined in the Hazardous Materials Regulations of the Department of Transportation, Parts 107 through 180 of this title.
    (5) Every cargo tank motor vehicle transporting a commodity which at the time of loading has a temperature above its flashpoint as determined by §173.120 of this title.
    (6) Every cargo tank motor vehicle, whether loaded or empty, transporting any commodity under exemption in accordance with the provisions of subpart B of part 107 of this title.(b) A stop need not be made at:(
    1) A streetcar crossing, or railroad tracks used exclusively for industrial switching purposes, within a business district, as defined in§390.5 of this chapter
    (2) A railroad grade crossing when a police officer or crossing flagman directs traffic to proceed,
    (3) A railroad grade crossing controlled by a functioning highway traffic signal transmitting a green indication which, under local law, permits the commercial motor vehicle to proceed across the railroad tracks without slowing or stopping
    (4) An abandoned railroad grade crossing which is marked with a sign indicating that the rail line is abandoned,
    (5) An industrial or spur line railroad grade crossing marked with a sign reading "Exempt." Such "Exempt" signs shall be erected only by or with the consent of the appropriate State or local authority.

nothing said about 4 ways...esp with a non haz mat load.....granted you do use them to stop at RR crossing to warn others....

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
    CAXPT Thanks this.
  7. CAXPT

CAXPT Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Michigan
    I've mentioned in another post that turns should be made in 3rd gear, and I find that to be an appropriate gear to do so, so I'm wondering since you state you start out in 3rd and then upshift to 4th, if you aren't lugging the engine, and that's what they're referring to. Do ask, as I am extremely curious about this as well, as it goes against all logic, and lord knows, we have drivers out here confused enough by the multitude of regulations and bad habits without the testing agency starting them really screwed up by testing the opposite of what their own laws and regulations insist is the correct option.

8. CAXPT

CAXPT Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Michigan
    They may have been doing a test on the concept rather than the actual Giggles. ie. pretend you're a hazmat load.

Just a thought.

Giggles the Original Thanks this.
  9. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    The instructor is NOT wanting you to shift while making a turn.

His issue was you not getting up to speed soon enough, after making the turn.

There is a difference.......

CAXPT Thanks this.
  10. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    sounds to me like he was saying since you are in the backside of the turn just waiting for the combo to come in line that you should be grabbing gears.

CAXPT Thanks this.
  11. Okieron

Okieron Crusty Okie

Dec 23, 2009
    muskogee, ok
    I think Mickey is right you probably didn't start getting after it fast enough ! They want you to be confident so if your show some fear or lack of confidence that may be what he is saying. when he add stuff up that's when you fail try and keep your wits tell him the bridge heights tell him the speed changes and yield signs. They will like you better for it. it lets them know your aware of your surroundings. ggod luck on your retry

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.