Shifting

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Cjewell77, Dec 22, 2011.

1. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    Depends on what the lot lizard is asking v offering of course!:biggrin_25522:

Do I have to spell out everything for you guys?:biggrin_2558:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pmracing

Pmracing Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Arlington Heights, IL
    Listen to the machine.

Do what makes the machine happy!

Mikeeee

4. Nashville Driver

Nashville Driver Medium Load Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Nashville, TN

There already is,... its called a VORAD collision avoidance system , I know USexpress uses part of the system on their trucks, but I saw a truck at a truck show that had all the features. Its pretty amazing what is available.

" Pretty soon all the "driver" is gonna do is turn the key and release the brakes."
    Maybe like an autoshift transmission?

Cjewell77 Thanks this.
  5. Palazon

Palazon Road Train Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Tacoma, WA
    Ok, think the theme song from "The Addams Family"... hear the finger snaps? That is the timing for shifting... 1..2.. :biggrin_25525::biggrin_25525:

6. dirtyjerz

dirtyjerz glowing beard pouty kid

Jun 7, 2011
    Playing in Traffic
    Maybe a mini drag racing tree on the dash? Prestage-stage-shift-aww ya missed it, try again.

7. slick50

slick50 Light Load Member

Dec 30, 2006
    McKinney, Texas
    Back to answering the question:
    My experience has been that most mistakes are made by going to fast, not to slow. That goes for shifting too.
    If you have a 9 or 10 speed you have a 400 rpm drop between each gear; most go to fast and scratch, then it drops into gear. If you go too slow you have to rev it alittle for it to go in.
    Gears 1-5 (low side) can have a 200 rpm drop and shifting needs to be a little quicker.
    So, while going slow, shift fast; while going fast, shift slow.
    Now to confuse you - if you are going up a hill and up shifting, shift fast (rpms will fall faster), but if going down hill, revs might not drop at all, so might have to rev it up with foot.
    It's an art, based on science. The green light is a paint by the numbers.
    Shift when it says, but still watch the tach for your 200/400 rpm drops.

RAGE 18 Thanks this.
  8. papanuge

papanuge Light Load Member

Sep 18, 2010
    Anderson, AL 35610
    Green shift light? Using the clutch? I did not learn this stuff down on the farm. My trainer would kick your shin for putting a foot on the clutch after you were rolling.
    You could put your foot on the clutch to put in in first gear, let it out to go and the next time you had better be stopped and ready to put it into first gear again.
    Geez I must be getting old. Started out on a B model Mack twin stick.

La Pine Ron Thanks this.
  9. Skip1965

Skip1965 Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2010
    C'bus, Oh.
    First gear???

10. Eaton18

Eaton18 Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2011
    Waverly, KS
    It's the first one, you start in from a stop. I find this gear to be a different one, depending on if I'm loaded or empty, and on a grade. If I'm loaded it is most of the time 1. If I'm on a fair down-grade, it can be 2. If I'm empty, it can actually be 3. Then there is the one time that I started in 6, (1 on high side) for my 13spd. I was stopped at an intersection in a busy city, on a fair down grade. Didn't want crawl through the intersection, since the green light didn't last long at all. I think it lasted 20 secs max.

11. TrucKer 999 TriLLion

TrucKer 999 TriLLion Light Load Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Ca
    shifting on the prostar 10 speed.....most of the times, i try 2 shift it at 1600/1700 rpms from 5th or 6th gear & up....

goin by that green light'll have u scratchin a few of those gears especially trynna get into 9th &10th...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.