Shifting.

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by D&J, Aug 5, 2022.

1. D&J

D&J Bobtail Member

Apr 30, 2022
    New York
    I'm currently taking lessons at the driving school where I obtained my B. I'm currently working on my A. My question which hasn't been explained properly is.. when I'm coming to a red light, am I riding the clutch all the way or am I braking until I get close and then kill it with the clutch? Another question. How do I keep the truck from stalling at the light? It's happened to me several times especially on a incline? Thanks in advance

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hatt91

Hatt91 Light Load Member

May 18, 2018
    Ideally you want to downshift through the gears while braking when approaching a stop. Leaving it in gear while slowing down gives the engine a chance to help the brakes.

when accelerating from a stop, you need to know where the clutch engages and slowly release through that point while you are gently pushing the acceperator. It does take some practice. with a straight 10 speed, when i’m empty I usually start in third gear, if I’m heavy I’ll start in second.

4. Wayoftheroad

Wayoftheroad Bobtail Member

Jun 8, 2022
    The DMV requires you to downshift when coming to a stoplight. When you are at a red light start it in around 3rd gear if you are in a 10 speed and with an empty trailer. Slowly lift off the clutch until you feel a tug and once you feel the tug start slowly accelerating while letting off of the clutch at the same time

5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I always just downshift to low range and idle up to the stop. Only really need the clutch in for the last 15-20 feet.

If it stalls, too high starting gear. I always started out in 1st loaded or empty. Sometimes 2nd if I was bobtail and its flat/downhill. Just easier on the truck that way.

Never want to start pushing the throttle when you're still letting the clutch out. Really hard on clutches. Ease it out and once your foot's off the clutch pedal, then ease into the fuel.

Only very rare situations should you ever need to give the truck throttle while letting the clutch out and you'll likely never see those situations hauling general freight on the highway.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
  6. snowlauncher

snowlauncher Road Train Member

Mar 28, 2014
    Southeastern ID
    With the clutch pedal depressed, push your foot on the throttle until the tachometer reads about 5500 r.p.m., then just pop the clutch pedal out as quickly as you can. This will prevent the truck from stalling and will start you out into the intersection at a fast pace... Works better when your heavily loaded. :D:D:D

7. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    You should be able to let out clutch at idle without stalling. Most big diesels have well over 500 ft lbs of torque at idle. If you are dropping rpm when letting out clutch you are in too high a gear.

AModelCat Thanks this.
  8. supergreatguy

supergreatguy Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2020
    Approach and downshift, get close enough to a fresh green turned red pop into neutral and set it to low gear position. Empty/bobtail start anywhere from 3-6. Heavy I always get the truck ready at 3. That’s real world. The dmv will want you to drop gears in order and fart three times each gear shift in the lower gears, since that is the lower part of your body. Then sing Backstreet Boys while gear up. If neutral, they typically require 7 compliments on their appearance and a gift card to Olive Garden bc they love authentic Italian food. Just my experience, hope it helps

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.