Shippers don't need brokers?

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Bogatyr, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Bogatyr

Bogatyr Bobtail Member

Sep 22, 2013
    Why would a shipper give a % of their money to a broker to move their freight when the shipper could just post directly on the loadboard thus cutting out the broker?

6wheeler Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BJnobear

BJnobear Heavy Load Member

Aug 24, 2010
    PCB, FL
    Because that would make too much gosh darn sense...

Brokers, they are the epitome of "Middle Man".

4. QualityMike

QualityMike Light Load Member

Jun 19, 2011
    North Dakota
    Because as a Broker for small shippers, you become the shipping department. You coordinate the pickup, track the movement and verify delivery. If they are large enough to have there own shipping department, then they do not need you. It is all about the service you provide.

5. Bogatyr

Bogatyr Bobtail Member

Sep 22, 2013
    When you say small shippers how small do you mean? I assume you mean something like a local meat company and not your typical Kellogg corn flakes shipper?

6. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010

The shipper isn't giving up anything. It comes out of the rate and what the carrier receives. One reason shippers use brokers is to cut payroll. Another is that many are just lazy. They can make 10 or 20 calls to find trucks direct or make a couple of calls to brokers and let them find the trucks.

7. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    That's right. If a shipper can move loads for $1500 and a broker tells them he can get them covered for $1200 the shipper might say OK. Highly doubt any shipper will agree to paying the broker $1800.....unless the shipper decides to outsource their entire shipping department.

In my experience a load can be covered in minutes just by posting it on DAT.

8. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    I have had some shippers tell me that they don't want to deal with all the phone calls and paperwork to get so many carriers set up. Basically, they are told me that their people are too lazy to do the job.

Cetane+ Thanks this.
  9. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    They hire a broker for the same reason you hire a CPA to do your taxes... it's not a matter of laziness, it's a matter of wanting to concentrate on your core business. And NOT deal with a major hassle that can be better dealt with by someone who specializes in it.

G3Truks, Big Jay, LSAgentOZR and 3 others Thank this.
  10. trees

trees Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2010
    That was an excellent answer.

11. trees

trees Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2010
    You also get the added benefit of having brokers competing with each other to provide you with the cheapest shipping costs, and for general commodity stuff this is just what the shipper is usually looking for...

dannythetrucker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.