Shipways truck stop

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by OLDSKOOLERnWV, Aug 29, 2016.

1. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    talking to a Freind the other day you grew up in Cumberland, MD. I ask about a small Truckstop over on 40/48 which is now I-68 from Morgantown to I-70. Use to stop there only in a need to sutuation, parking lot had holes big enough to bury 1/2 you tractor. Anyone remember that little place? It was tore out for the new big road.

bzinger and x1Heavy Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Shipwaychristine

Shipwaychristine Bobtail Member

May 8, 2017
    San Antonio TX

4. Shipwaychristine

Shipwaychristine Bobtail Member

May 8, 2017
    San Antonio TX
    I am the great grand daughter to the deceased owners John T Shipway & Belle Shipway. It was a truck stop and Inn. Their grandson Jack who also worked there has a brochure of the original Shipways Inn and told him to get on here and upload a copy.

7-UP, tnpete, dunchues and 3 others Thank this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I do. Sure as hell. lol.

I was beginning to think the new road paved over the site, the terrain matches what I remember when I get really close to where it was but no stop. So... they probably paved over it.

OLDSKOOLERnWV Thanks this.
  6. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    Well welcome to the forum!! Some of us older Gearjammer's walked those grounds years ago lol.

Shipwaychristine and noluck Thank this.
  7. haycarter

haycarter Road Train Member

Jun 9, 2012
    Australia
    Is this It ?? oldskooler

[​IMG]

bzinger Thanks this.
  8. tnpete

tnpete Medium Load Member

Jun 25, 2013
    Tn
    Was in there a lot back in the 80's. There was a air starter truck scared the crap out of me there. Was right beside it around 3 am walking to my truck. He hit the starter, and well getting up in that cabover was easy that morning.

Blue jeans, Grubby, x1Heavy and 2 others Thank this.
  9. Bob Olsen

Bob Olsen Bobtail Member

Sep 7, 2017
    I stopped there every time I traveled to Morehead KY for school 1975_1981 in my vw beetle .Once during the big ice storm I was frozen in the car by the glaze of ice, the cook came out and busted the ice off and got me inside for coffee... I remember the place well with fond memories Bob Olsen

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I loved the air starts. Just one little issue, you gots about 12 seconds of blast air out of that tank.

"SHE" should be coughing at least two cylinders as it builds compression on other other 4 which also begin to cough to life. The best starts are where in about 8 seconds during the blast music comes into play from all 6 cylinders.

If I ever see a air breather someday Ima fixing to bribe that driver to let me have it for 10 minutes before I go. There is nothing like those things ever when everything is in nominal cruise.

11. DougA

DougA Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Retired,In my shop in Md.
    Shipways was on the hill,on the westbound side of what was old US 40 back then.Not a big place,dirt parking lot.Had a garage,towing.Food was decent,you could also get a beer if you wanted.Didn't last when they put I-68 through there.
    There was also a little truckers café on the eastbound side of 40 at the bottom of the hill past Shipways.Had a little one bay repair garage,about 8 or 10 stools in the café.Had horrible food,I do remember that,don't think the place had a name.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    OLDSKOOLERnWV Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.