Shocking?

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by HoneyBadger67, Feb 12, 2019.

1. HoneyBadger67

HoneyBadger67 Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Savannah, TN
    So, I just replaced the front shocks on the T660. Just stock paccar parts. I was surprised that there wasn't a lock strap on them to keep them from expanding before installation. Do paccar shocks work differently than every other brand or did I get duds? I haven't opened the rear shocks yet....

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Replacing shocks should not be a bad issue. See if you can get loaded after putting them all on

HoneyBadger67 Thanks this.
  4. HoneyBadger67

Dec 15, 2018
    Savannah, TN
    I'm loaded now (with an RGN) which is why I didn't put the back ones on yet. (It's difficult to get back under on ice...lol)

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Only on gas shocks are they necessary.

Expeditor and HoneyBadger67 Thank this.
  6. HoneyBadger67

Dec 15, 2018
    Savannah, TN
    I've only ever had gas charged, I guess. In August (when I expect to have 60k or more on these) I'll look for some monroe replacements.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  7. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    OEM shocks are usually made by a major shock manufacturer like Gabriel, Monroe or Sachs to the OEM’s specifications and stamped with the OEM’s name on it.

A couple years ago I replaced the cab shocks on my Volvo. I went to Volvo to buy the OEM shocks, when I opened the box the shock had Monroe stamped on it.

Bean Jr. and HoneyBadger67 Thank this.
  8. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I ordered Gabriel Adjustable E through autozone. They came in TRP box. I think that TRP is PACCAR's version of Alliance, which is Freightliner's parts

9. Working2party

Working2party Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Kansas
    Sounds like they are hydraulic shocks, (not gas charged). Hendrickson installs gas shock on the Intrax suspension that’s under the tank trailers I work on. Before I knew there was a difference i’d Just by some Monroe (or whatever would fit) but we had a trouble with them blowing out in off-highway rough road conditions. I went back to the Hendrickson brand, (which turned out to be less expensive). I’m not sure if they work better, but I don’t have to replace them as often!!

From what I learned from a parts salesman, the hydraulic shocks are ment for air suspensions as they are supposedly shock evenly both ways. Although if you have problems with gas filled shocks, the hydraulic shocks hold up better in rough conditions in my experience.

HoneyBadger67 Thanks this.
  10. HoneyBadger67

Dec 15, 2018
    Savannah, TN

i.e., ###### near every road in the U.S. right now

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  11. HoneyBadger67

Dec 15, 2018
    Savannah, TN
    What a difference 6 new shocks can make. The wife is learning how to do some of this stuff as we go along (I think) and is most certainly NOT happy that I don't show sympathy for minor (to me) boo-boos....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.