Shooting for June

Discussion in 'Central Refrigerated' started by KidCountry, Mar 28, 2013.

1. KidCountry

KidCountry Bobtail Member

Jun 12, 2012
    Farmington, MO
    Well after going to Prime last year in August and being sent home bc of a ticket that wasn't even on my record (I wrote it down and honestly don't know why) I'm gonna give this another's shot. I've done a bit of reading and of course you have your good stories and the ones where people bash the company bc things didn't quite go the way the had planned.
    I'm new to the whole trucking gig, but have been around it for the past 17 yrs considering my Dad's a driver for a flatbed company (Stricklin Trucking). I want a new experience, something different for once. I'm 21 and I want to see a lot more than the surrounding states of Missouri.
    I'm shooting for June, hopefully in the first couple of weeks actually. So any advice that anyone has to offer would be much appreciated.
    If all you have to do is complain and I know it will happen, just keep it to a minimum. I don't need your bad experience, everyone is different and things happen for a reason. I mean trucking isn't for everyone, I do know that.
    So any advice to a newbie/rookie would be GREAT. Thanks everyone and be safe out there!

mje Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Do you already have a CDL or CDL school? The best advice I can give you is to get all the endorsements, passport, TWIC. I've done tanker & flatbed running 48 states & Canada; very little waiting anywhere as with reefer or dry van. Prime has flatbed & tanker. Swift has flatbed. If you already have attended a CDL school there are many other choices available.

mje Thanks this.
  4. critters

critters <b>Late For Dinner</b>

Jul 16, 2011
    traverse city,MI
    what kinda questions do you have I'm a flatbed and OS driver.and I happen to love what I do.

mje Thanks this.
  5. KidCountry

Jun 12, 2012
    Farmington, MO
    Well as "Chinatown" said above, the simplest way to do things is for me to go to a school. I understand that a lot more companies will put you through a refresher course. The problem with that is, I don't have $3,500-$5,000 to put into a school. That's my whole reason for getting into a company that offers the training. I understand they somewhat own you once you sign that 1 yr contract, but my choices are limited.
    I'd personally like to get into flatbed, just aren't many options out there. Well considering my age and no experience.
    I've got to start somewhere..

mje Thanks this.
  6. Lady K

Lady K Road Train Member

Central will get you a CDL... And they are good at doing that. They don't have flatbed though. However, you said you are 21... You might be limited because some companies (or their insurance underwriters) say you must be 23... Make sure you check that part out as well.

mje Thanks this.
  7. payday1020

payday1020 Bobtail Member

Mar 22, 2013
    You got sent home for something not even on your recored WOW.. why that is crazy I was thinking about going with them but man I dont know now.

mje Thanks this.
  8. KidCountry

Jun 12, 2012
    Farmington, MO
    Well they told me I lied to them, technically I didn't considering there isn't a trace of it ever happening. I kicked myself in the butt after that though, so now I have to wait until July if I want to go back with them.
    There's nothing wrong with the company, it was a personal mistake that I can only blame myself for. Although I don't believe that they should have been able to hold something against me that isn't even available for them to find.
    I originally chose them bc they aren't too far from home, only about 3 hrs actually.
    I'm gonna give Central a shot in June after my CNI (careless and inprudent) becomes 3 yrs old, on May 29th. It was a stupid ticket anyways, wet blacktop on a hill in a 5 spd. Just broke traction a bit and I got pulled over.
    I mean from what I've read Central seems like a good company, just a fast pased school. I'm fine with that. I guess I'll find out in June when I get the show on the road!

9. Tats Man

Tats Man Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Not to pry, just wondering how they got so upset & it isn't on your record?? How did it turn up?? Understand they are concerned, but geez

10. KidCountry

Jun 12, 2012
    Farmington, MO
    I wrote it down on my app, I wasn't thinking at all. It's not a big deal though, I'm gonna go with Central here in June. I think it will be a good company to start with.

11. Tats Man

Tats Man Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Might be joining ya. Except in April. So their recruiter has lied to me. Does she get released? Just thinking out loud. Things happen for reasons. Sure you'll make the most of opportunity

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.