Shotgun coils.

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by 6wheeler, Oct 26, 2016.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Overheads for coil have a very large L shaped tool. The thing is like 6 feet on the horizonal, a 18 inch thick and the vertical is about 3 feet, and three thick. I think the cap is 200 ton. There is no truck in America capable of loading a 200 ton coil. OOF.

When manuvering a overhead to the little coil, those L hooks bang around and damage the metal if you let it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    Biggest coil I've ever hauled legally was 49500, consignee required it to be suicide. I had 8 chains on that beast.

I prefer shotgun because I can get more securement on it. I usually throw 2 sets of x chains, plus 4 horseshoe chains, then depending on the width 3 or 4 straps, plus a trip block or a dead man's block for those that know it by that name.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  4. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    49000 suicide. UGH. I might have refused that one. I'll have to check my bawls to see if they are big enough for that work. Ive done 52000... talk about frau bertha. for cripes...

Gunner75 Thanks this.
  5. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40

Not real sure. USA metals location. This place tends to hire kids. My guess is they may have had too small a C hook and dropped the coil. The other thing is they may not have had it set up right on the block. Sort of hard to tell, mixed info on it. My understanding was it landed on the trailer and did some serious damage.

Used to bring skidded coils of stainless and aluminum out of the L.A. port to a place in SLC. out by the airport. They have an overhead crane and use a C hook for skids. rated a 7000 lbs. marked right on it. picking up 20K plus coils with it. you could see it bend and flex under the weight.
    Talked to the lead man about it. He did not see a problem with using it. Asked him if he minded if I could take a video of them unloading me for my kids. "No problem, go ahead"
    so I did and sent it to my dispatcher. That was the last time I went there.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  6. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    ooo. I would not want to go see him unload there anymore either Espressolane. The gore that will splatter with bits of bone would be something that disables good people for life.

7. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    I do 51k often enough when I'm up north and steel is paying good. Take your time, do your job right and secure it properly. Drive like a professional instead of pretending you are in the indy 500 and no coil, no matter how heavy it is, is going anywhere.

stayinback and x1Heavy Thank this.
  8. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    The Hillbillies at AK steel down in Rockport ,In Have trouble all the time Rolling a coil.......

Their stuff comes out too light and too heavy... Seen hundreds of coils going to suppliers for the final customer weighing too much (53,54,56k) Or way too light (27k-29k-31k) Single Rolled coils.

Too many Loads Sit when you don't have enough $$$ to pull a permit for 55k.........Yes,Unfortuynately they use a 3pl to move their steel.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    55K? Coils? Let's see, I just discarded 90% of all flats because they are too heavy. You need like a very special gooseneck V bed to move that thing. However long it needs to be....

10. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Nah, you can permit 92k gross on a normal 5 axle set up in many states. Without looking it up i couldn't tell ya if Indiana happens to be one of them.

Heck with one of these new light weight 48 flats i could almost be legal with that 55k lb coil. For a dedicated run i bet i could shave enough weight to pull that off.

1johnb, Bean Jr. and x1Heavy Thank this.
  11. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ever feel like you are trying to drag a egyptian pryamid deadweight behind you? I had a employer like that permits be ###### in here Arkansas. 110-130 or whatever K daily in that gross weight. I did not think that was possible. But there it was. Dragging those weights was a chore. Not fun. Work up to top gear just get into 1400 feel that thing snort and finally start to run only to hit a little hump and destroy the next two gears down on the downshift....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.