Should cpm be changed to hourly for all drivers?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by scott180, Jun 18, 2019.

1. dieselpowered

dieselpowered Heavy Load Member

May 16, 2016
    Hourly is an interesting topic as always, my issue is this will I am sure it won't hurt my feelings if certain companies went under then flip side being companies to work for be more limited if a bunch went under. Meaning more drivers trying for the same job won't even be decent pay either. while some companies need to be investigated for illegal practices we can't have every company go under trying please the driver.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    I am all for the free market but I do have trouble understanding why drivers are constantly racing to the bottom.

When I last drove I was paid just over $25 hr. with good benefits and I understand now it is up to over $30 . This was with Kenan Advantage Group so I would consider them a large company. The boss was not an idiot, if someone was a slacker they were let go.

Gas, Jet fuel and Ethanol are not that hard to do and there are a lot less headaches than OTR drivers face. The OTR job I’m considering does pay 55 cpm to start as well as my time for other duties. Now I’ve been out of a truck for awhile but I wouldn’t take less pay than this. I don’t understand why experienced drivers with recent experience (that I lack) and a clean record will sell themselves short and then argue why they should make less.

The argument that drivers shouldn’t be paid by the hour because of a few lazy drivers is the same as saying you should not have a firearm due to nutjobs. Punish the bad apples.

4. Dan.S

Dan.S Light Load Member

May 10, 2017
    Few lazy drivers?

Try again.

I work on a cherry contract. I do not envy my bosses. Near constant issues with guys...

Drivers get so wrapped up in their own little (small) worlds, that they can’t see the forest through the trees. Most don’t understand how to control personal finances, much less business financials.

Scenario....$1400 a week, home daily, five day workweek. At 42cpm, running just about 2,250 miles per week.....

Is it sooooo unreasonable to work for 42cpm now?

Those are real numbers from my personal experience.

5. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    he probably wants to be paid for time spent in the bathroom.....too many drivers stay in there too looooong...

Dan.S Thanks this.
  6. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    I didn't think $1400 a week take home was bad when I got out of trucking school and started working for Reliable Trucking Inc hauling dirt. Of course that was back in 2003

7. Dan.S

Dan.S Light Load Member

May 10, 2017
    The point isn’t the total weekly pay but rather, the cpm and the pay don’t correlate...at all.

You can’t look at the cpm rate, and draw ANY conclusions about what you’re compensated for.

Look, I’ve worked both mileage, and salary.

The underachievers make all of us on salary look bad, because they’re numerous. How many times have you heard someone say ‘ah, I don’t care how long it takes, I’m paid hourly...’?

Yeah. Thought so.

Funny enough, the hard runners don’t whine and moan about how they’re paid. They look at the overall pay check, and make a decision as to whether it’s worth it, or not...

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    KANSAS TRANSIT Thanks this.
  8. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    the past several jobs i had were all dedicated accounts, paid by weekly salary, no matter how many hours i worked, or fueld, etc,etc.

once i got to learn the route, i'd be able to do it in less time, be home earlier and this in turn, was a "handsome" weekly paycheck.

personally, i have done the cpm, the hourly pay and salary, and i prefer salary. of course, it has it's drawbacks, like bad weather, breakdowns (but i'd still get breakdown pay), and maybe having to go back to another stop, to this time, drop off something i picked up at another stop, which DID happend few times.

being paid on salary encoraged me to hustle and work as efficiently as possible, so i could have an early night.

also, my return loads HAD TO BE at the starting point at x hour, so the day drivers can unlaod and reload what they needed for thier deliveries. but this NEVER forced me to drive fast, i'd set the cruise and mosey on back. i was a worker, not a slacker.

i hardly needed a "nap break", which if i had stopped for one, that would cut into my "get home time".

there will always be clock burners, in ANY industry, the o/p seems to think we could all benefit from his pay structure, when in many cases, it simply does not work.

he claims he gets paid well...good for him...he should not worry the pay's of others.....

Dan.S Thanks this.
  9. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    There are lots of driving jobs that pay by the hour and it works better for all involved.
    When I started driving, it was for a medium sized construction company. I ran the lowboy and any slack time wrenched in the shop. I generally had 80 hours a week or better in any given week, better for the most part.
    After a few months the owner got to cmplaining about my overtime, which their was nothing much I could do about, and wound up telling me to go home when I got my 40 in.
    I got it in before noon on wensday and called my wife and told her I would be in in a little while, but in the meantime do not answer the phone.
    When I got home we left for the hill country and came back sunday night.
    The owner raised cain monday morning morning wanting to know where I had been. FISHING I told him, I did exactly what he told me to do. lol
    I was told don't worry about my hours from then on.
    I was paid by the hour and paid well, but I did much more than ride and drive,, later on I also did the same thing, except pulling a bulker and running heavy equipment, when not needed in the truck.
    Many of todays drivers complain about having to put diesel in their truck, much less anything else and want to be paid extra for sitting on their butt, it just doesn't work that way and never will.

10. Dan.S

Dan.S Light Load Member

May 10, 2017
    That’s the big difference though, buddy...

You’re the rarity. I don’t know many people that won’t abuse hourly or salary pay.

11. Dan.S

Dan.S Light Load Member

May 10, 2017

Exactly. You’re paid to do the ‘whole’ job.

It matter not how you’re paid to do that ‘whole’ job... if you’re paid fairly, who cares if you’re paid for that ten minutes fueling, or not?

The check at the end of the week is either worth it, or it isn’t. The end justifies the means...or...something. :p

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.