Should I Get A CB Radio?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by arewethereyet1, Aug 22, 2014.

1. superflow

superflow Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    [QUOTE="semi" retired;4201222]IT CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE! Especially with winter not far off.[/QUOTE]

"Amen " to this !

I vote Cobra 29 ,this classic radio has been a friend to many truckers
    Their track record speaks ! .....( not healthy to listen to too much "truckstop bull slop " )

hal380, allniter and "semi" retired Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ew2108

ew2108 Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Baltimore, Md
    So what radio would you Guys buy if money wasnt an issue i have an old midland 1001z that i need to upgrade i seen a cobra 29 with bluetooth what have you all heard about it or know about it?

4. Aminal

Aminal Heavy Load Member

If NOAH transmits the "alert tone" it will power on and the alert tone will go off and then start whatever broadcast they alerted for even if you have the regular power knob turned off with the Cobras. If you are in range. I don't need to tell you what that did to Aminal at 12:00 on Wed afternoon sleeping nice and deep during the day after driving all night and delivering at 05:00 and getting to sleep around 07:00.

"BEEEEEP. ARRR, ARRR, ARRR. This is a weekly test of the emergency broadcast system . . ."

"WTF!!! I thought I turned this thing OFF!! [sleepily and angrily trying to turn the power knob off when it is already turned off] WTF? It IS off"

"If this had been an actual emergency . . . "

"SHUT UP ALREADY! How do you turn this danged thing off when it IS off?!"

"ARRR, ARRR, ARRR".

" S#!+ OK. I'm up now stupid box. What else ya got to say (looking through the instruction book)?"

"Here Kitty, Kitty, Kitty. I ain't got no panties on."

Really? REALLY?! That's why I turned it OFF. So I could SLEEP! THERE. Page 4 OK turn on then off again. THERE.

So yes I do like the CB, it is an important tool. Yes I do like the Cobra 29 w/ WX. Yes DO read the manual first and adjust the settings right away and if you don't then keep the manual handy. You will be referring to it later. Note: if you ever decide to go digital (I do like my new 29 digital. didn't think I would but I do) and the WX scan feature. If you use scan in background for the WX channels, take a minute and turn scan off as soon as you know you are in a storm you are going to drive through anyway. If you don't then you will get an alert tone and broadcast every five minutes about something you already know. Every time it gets close to the next county it will pick up that county too. So you got the one that hasn't faded yet alerting every five minutes and the one just picking up every five minutes and that's in all directions and it will be too late to change it because you will already be knee deep in the teeth of it and concentrating hard on your driving and not willing to (hopefully) divert your attention from driving to shut the WX stations up.

BEEEP, BEEEP, BEEEP. . . "Thank you Johnson County, yes you too Wilson County, oh wouldn't be a party without you too there Jackson County. Glad you could make it. Bring any friends? Snap. You did. Yes Blake County I got it, thank you and Thompson County too. Can I drive now? I got it thee first 57 times all y'all told me in the last 28 minutes. BTW guys that troupe of drunk monkeys going ape on the roof of my condo and windshield with sledge hammers? Little more than ""pea size hail"". Just sayin'; Whose peas? Colossus's? Try Softball." BEEEP "Oh for Pete's sake."

So, learn it BEFORE you get woke up from that precious day sleep for a "test" or have to listen to it for 2 hours getting through a storm while you are trying to focus on . . . getting through the storm. If you do, then I think you'll love it.

hal380 Thanks this.
  5. Pmracing

Pmracing Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Arlington Heights, IL
    If you tell the shipper/receiver that you have a CB then you have to listen to every single truck being called hoping to hear your name or dock number.

I have not been to one in three years that will not call your cell phone or send the yard dog to honk.

It is a much more personalized connection. You can sleep till they call only you.

I am a huge android app user for traffic, weather and many more things. But I still have the CB on often.

Mikeeee

6. notsonewb

notsonewb Light Load Member

Jul 29, 2014
    Cobra 29 go to a TA and lay down the approx 150 get the night glow model its the best one, as far as I know , that they make has weather ect , also get a decent antenna or two when your done you will have bout 250 or so spent , I figure a trucker having a CB radio is like a cow boy having a saddle , not sure which hoarse you gonna ride but when you get there you have the gear for the job.

7. Pahrump

Pahrump Medium Load Member

they were better when there were only 29 channels..my first cb you had to buy crystals for the channels separate,,back then everyone ran ch 10, everone on the radio spoke English too.

8. Ubu

Ubu Road Train Member

Aug 25, 2012
    Rumored to be somewhere
    29 channels? CB radio as we know it today (post 1958 ) started with 23 channels and then went to 40 in 1977.

"semi" retired Thanks this.
  9. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Hi ubu, that's true, I still have the 1st CB I ever owned, a Johnson Messenger 123A.( horribly out of date, only good as an antique) I remember, you would open up the cb, and replace the "A" crystal(?) with a "B" one. Oh boy, the privacy we had then with the "B" crystal.

10. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    still have my old Cobra 19 somewhere.

have 1994 Cobra 29 and it is on with the squelch turned up.

only hear people close, if I have a flat or lites not working,ect.

have only had 3 radios in about 30 yrs. all Cobras.

they last forever.

except speaker dies and then use an external one,(sounds better anyway).

11. arewethereyet1

arewethereyet1 Light Load Member

Feb 1, 2014
    I bought one recently. Cobra 29 LX LCD CB Radio on sale at Pilot/Flying J for $89 after $20 mail-in rebate (w/o taxes).

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.