Should I pay the $500 to learn manual at school?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Flankenfurter, Jan 27, 2021.

1. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    I'd like a built true automatic if I were trying to hit 10's in the quarter mile. Otherwise, I'll shift the gears myself, thank ya very much.

Hulld, Texas_hwy_287, Vampire and 3 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    I’ve got a 52 year old friend that has hounded me to just let her drive my old truck because she just wants to. She is clean and doesn’t drink ( she just doesn’t think). The reasons I would never, ever, ever, let that happen is 1) she says she knows how to drive a stick even though the only time she did was almost 40 years ago and she’s had nothing but auto’s since. Every single vehicle shes had has been drivin into the ground and scrapped with blown auto’s. 2) she’s the type that rolls full speed until 10 ft before the stop and than puts everything in the car forward through the windshield. You know the type. The jackknifes waiting to happen type. Needs brakes replaced every 3 months type. 3) her vehicles have been beaten and bashed due to her habits but she doesn’t hit things. They hit her. Lol!
    Point is she’s been driving for almost 40 years and STILL has not gotten better then her first day.

4. SoulScream84

SoulScream84 Road Train Member

Mar 21, 2020
    I appreciate an auto, quite a bit in city traffic. My last year was spent in 1, but now I'm back in a stick while 6 guys I did orientation with were waiting for more autos to come in. Moral of the story is an "obsolete" skill set has me earning instead of sitting.

5. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I will train you on manual for $400.

6. tarmadilo

tarmadilo Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2018
    I already offered for $250! :D

Dave_in_AZ and Flankenfurter Thank this.
  7. Flankenfurter

Flankenfurter Light Load Member

Jan 8, 2021
    USA
    Thanks for the offers to teach me for less. Yeah. I agree with @Trucking in Tennessee on the cost of training due to wear on the truck. That plus the instructor and simply the fact that the truck sits around not being used because they train on the trucks that are predominantly driven these days. I get it why they're charging a round number. Could probably be more like $387 or something.

8. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    Amen.

I learned on a stick.

I can DRIVE a stick.

BUT I prefer not to.

I love my Volvo automatic.

TankerP, Flankenfurter and Chinatown Thank this.
  9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Can't beat that Volvo.
    The tanker outfit I worked for received 3 new trucks to use as test trucks; each company hoping they would buy their brand. All had automatics. I drove the Freightliner, International, Volvo; all 3 running the roads.
    The Volvo won, hands down. Volvo had Volvo engine and Volvo automatic transmission.
    The other two brands were jerky and if stopped on a hill, wouldn't pull, just as if they were in neutral. That presented some real problems.

Flankenfurter and SoulScream84 Thank this.
  10. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    when i was in the garage business, i had the same problem. i told him to cut down on the 36 cups of coffee each day....then he had the DT's......

11. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i agree with you, that for instance, my first time driving a "Hood", was the LAST TIME, i ever wanted to drive a cabover

yes, but "OLD TIMERS" like us, at the very least had no restrictions on our licenses. this is what the newbies just do not realize. that someday, somehow, some where, those automatic only jobs will not necessarily hire him, or need him, yet a boat load of manual jobs will flood him with offers.

one must not depend on electronic gizmo's, automatics, drop and hook, home weekends, holidays, and several weeks of vacation, especially in any economy when the employer is here today.....

gone tomorrow...

map reading, shifting, and even cranking down the widows manually, stopping and paying the tolls with CASH, rather than EZ Pass, are skills everyone ought to know how to do..

Coffey, tarmadilo and SoulScream84 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.