Should I start trucking?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by jfost020, Aug 29, 2014.

1. jfost020

jfost020 Bobtail Member

Aug 29, 2014
    Recently went back to school for teaching license at odu in norfolk, va. I have my b.a. in english and also in philosophy. So I have a job right now but had 30 day employment gap before this and another 60 day employment gap in the last 3 years. I am going to get a notarized letter with a couple of people for both of these periods. I also have a misdmeanor concealed carry conviction when I was stopped for a broken taillight. I went through driver solutions (pam) and swift academy. Driver solutions just asked for an explanation but swift actually asked for an explanation and had a letter of approval from corporate security in arizona from my explanation. Both said they checked my employment history but I know pam didn't and swift said they needed a notarized letter in the online training for more than 60 days of unemployment but the recruiter said they had already verified my employment (probably not). I feel real shady about both of them and have heard some bad stories about people showing up and being sent home. I also have a credit card in collections too which I am trying to pay down and 3 accidents but none of them were my fault. I want to go to this private school because I feel like I have a chance of learning and getting hired with them. They make it realistic that I would probably have to do over the road, (which I expected). I also want to relocate to Kentucky at some point with my former roomate because there are a lot of truck jobs out there with Schneider than there are in my area of virginia. So my question is whether I have a good chance at getting hired with questionable credit, the misdemeanor, gaps in employment, and the previous accidents which were not my fault?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
    Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. White Dog

White Dog Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Iowa
    No you should not.

nb629, Marky84, DriverToBroker and 4 others Thank this.
  4. jfost020

jfost020 Bobtail Member

Aug 29, 2014
    Why should I not?

5. BrenYoda883

BrenYoda883 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    If trucking is something you really want to do then go for it... but it will be more challenging for you to get hired.. but, not impossible

6. jfost020

jfost020 Bobtail Member

Aug 29, 2014
    What in particular will be the hardest?

7. nb629

nb629 Light Load Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Because there is already enough steering wheel holders who use the word HOMEBOY and run sixty in the middle lane with their ear buds in.

dog-c and x#1 Thank this.
  8. jfost020

jfost020 Bobtail Member

Aug 29, 2014
    Ok, seriously what would be the hardest thing to get over? Any companies in particular I should look at? I have seen guys on this forum have issues but not with these issues in particular and say they have gotten hired with worse.

9. jlawson1979

jlawson1979 Light Load Member

Jul 10, 2012
    Depending on how old the misdemeanor is will determine how hard it will be to get hired and who will hire you. Also, even if the accidents were not your fault some companies will frown upon that sad but true. Put in some OTR time and you should be able to open more doors to get something local if that's what you want Good Luck

10. jfost020

jfost020 Bobtail Member

Aug 29, 2014
    Will the otr companies even take me? Any in particular you suggest?

11. nb629

nb629 Light Load Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Try Carolina Cargo

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.