Should I switch to P&D?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Tanndaman, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Tanndaman

Tanndaman Bobtail Member

Oct 26, 2020
    I have done linehaul, delivered dairy, and I currently run a flatbed around the state. I've always wondered about P&D. I'm currently stuck at about 60k because hours get cut in the winter. I like the idea of M-F, but I'm worried about pay. What is realistic pay for someone at the bottom? Do guys at the bottom of seniority not get very many hours? I know someone who works at FedEx freight and doesn't get much driving, but a lot of dock work and not very many hours. I'm not looking for that. I live in Des Moines, so there are a lot of options near me. Are some of them more highly regarded than others?

UPSF
    Fedex freight
    Saia
    Dayton
    Old Dominion
    XPO
    ABF
    R+L
    YRC
    Estes
    Magnum
    Central transport
    Holland
    Dohrn

Just to name a few...

Thanks

LtlAnonymous Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    some places your hours are dependant on whether you are hired full time, or casual.

everyone slows down a bit during the winter. many customers close down for about a couple of weeks for the holidays. many customers close down in bad weather.

i never wanted P&D myself, i'd prefer linehaul, or regional.

one company, Central Transport, i'd highly recommend you stay away from.

try and get a union job, build up your time for the benefits, seniority

road_runner Thanks this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I'd go for line haul with a company such as Estes Express, R&L, Old Dominion.
    You'll make more money than P&D and some line haul is home every day.

road_runner and TequilaSunrise Thank this.
  5. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    You may struggle to break 60k your first year no matter where you land at any of the ltls when you combine pay progression and being at the bottom of the list.

road_runner, Jay5GS and Texas_hwy_287 Thank this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Several years ago I drove for YRC and worked there about 2 or 3 years.
    I chose to run extra-board vs. bid runs and by doing that was the top paid driver at that terminal. as far as weekly paychecks go. I never bid on runs and refused to do so.

TequilaSunrise Thanks this.
  7. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    That’s not always the case.

A peddle hand could make more than the linehaul guys if he’s got a long run, but you’d have to want to run 2 hours or more from the barn.

It depends on the company and what extras they will pay the linehaul drivers. Some don’t give any.

road_runner and Texas_hwy_287 Thank this.
  8. singleaxle

singleaxle Bobtail Member

Nov 27, 2019
    I’d go for linehaul at ODFL or FXF. I’m currently a P&D driver but I’m transferring to linehaul soon when the opportunity comes.

TequilaSunrise Thanks this.
  9. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    Out of all of those, I’d favor UPSF, Dayton, and OD (in no particular order). FedEx would be decent for linehaul, but then again so would a lot of those places.

Saia is advertising $25.46/hr to start if you have 12 months P&D experience, plus OT after 45 hours. But the job listing also says they aren’t currently hiring, just taking applications to keep on file.

Texas_hwy_287 and McUzi Thank this.
  10. Tanndaman

Tanndaman Bobtail Member

Oct 26, 2020
    I was wondering about Dayton, I see they are hiring in my area. I can't find much about them though. I'd like to get an opinion from someone who works there. Saia seems to have rough equipment, but that does seem to be a good starting wage.

11. HiramKingWilliams

HiramKingWilliams Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2019
    State of Jefferson
    Truck Driver / Home Daily / $4,000 in Bonuses

I’d call the service center manger and ask what kind of hours you could get. Not including the bonuses, if you worked 50 hrs per week, you’d break $60k the first year. Top out is probably about $29-30/hr and takes 3 yrs. Benefits start on day 1.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.