Should I switch to P&D?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Tanndaman, Oct 26, 2020.

1. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    We could cover that from Baltimore with the new local exemption rules, but Triglia might cry. :rolleyes:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nmill

nmill Light Load Member

Sep 7, 2018
    Technically we don't have a virginia route now after the guy retired. They've been giving it to someone on a 48' when the deliveries stack up. The regular guy went down with a pup 90% of the time.

4. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    Okay. So. At MY old ABF terminal, I wish I would've gone P&D rather than linehaul, because they are completely heartless with their linehaul drivers out of that terminal. It would've been fine if I'd gotten a bid, but...five years of 24/7 on-call and I still hadn't gotten one. Had to quit.

But ABF is a mostly good company to work for outside of Chicago. So have at it.

My OPINION of those companies? I'll rank them best to least:

UPSF
    ABF
    Fedex freight
    Old Dominion
    Estes
    Dayton
    R+L(could be higher, but limited experience)
    XPO
    Saia
    Holland
    YRC
    Central transport

I have ZERO experience with:

Magnum
    Dohrn

Anything Dayton or above in that list is a great idea. I don't have a lot of experience with r&l, but I love that they give their guys set runs from the moment they start. So that's a huge bonus.

Anything XPO or below, I would stay away from. XPO has been run like #### in recent years since they took over Conway. Saia has driver facing cameras and a history of harassing drivers with it. YRC and Holland are going to be in bankruptcy in a few years, so don't even bother. And Central Transport has the worst equipment in ltl history, which puts your cdl at risk. Make sure to get in the left lane when you see that yellow trailer on the shoulder.

McUzi and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  5. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    1 seniority list, lifetime bids on both a start time and a territory, assigned equipment, no slip seating the single screws...

LtlAnonymous Thanks this.
  6. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I can only imagine what it’s like trying to work out of a 48’ trailer down there.

It’s probably not bad if everything is right along 13, but there’s always that one residential that’s out in the sticks or right on the water that you wouldn’t have a shot in hell of getting to.

7. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Solid ranking list. Although, I will say the harassment on the DFCs seems to be terminal based with regard to Saia, BUT... that little green light that flashes red sure does distract you over time. I thought I could hack the "no CB use" and no bluetooth ban there, but as Mack has said multiple times in various ways, it's a slap in the face to drivers to tell them they can't use a CB. Even funnier... "oh, you can HAVE the cb, you just can't talk on it.", which is just like them saying "no bluetooth for any reason", and then buying new Freightliners with bluetooth enabled in the radios AND having controls on the wheel to answer/decline phone calls (which they actually did).

MACK E-6 and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  8. nmill

nmill Light Load Member

Sep 7, 2018
    I've run the area they've got some fun roads out there! I've definitely learned when to bring it back when I need to.

9. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I’ve been to Accomac for this company once, but the state line is as far as they normally run me.

10. HiramKingWilliams

HiramKingWilliams Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2019
    State of Jefferson
    i dunno.

11. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    :biggrin_2554:

You SHOULD know. Was it one of those nuclear densometers or whatever they are that come in a roughly suitcase sized plastic yellow or gray box?

Reason I ask is that you don’t need to wear placards for those.

Class 7 has 3 subgroups and you only need placards for one of them.... yellow label III. The problem is the subgroup that you need placards for is also highway route controlled, so you might get an ### chewing from an LEO at an inspection after he asks you for a written route plan that you won’t have next time you do that.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.