Should You Buy a Truck in 2021?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by SeanQ, Nov 23, 2021.

1. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Ive been subscribing to this more and more. The 70’s repeat theory. The whole build a house for 20k in 1970 and it’s worth 50 to 60k by 1980.

20 to 25k increase for new trucks from 2021 to 2022. What will the increase be from 2022 to 2023? Used prices will swing as they always do but that baseline will never retreat. When things normalize that 3 yr 300k truck that was 80k Will now be 105k?

That hood that was 175k new will now be over 200. So, will 3/mi be the new 2/mi? Right now it seems so.

Speed_Drums and shooter19802003 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Short Fuse EOD

Short Fuse EOD Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
    I agree. Sadly my savings are worth allot less.

4. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Even tho trucking profits have been at record highs we have to not only save back for the downturn but also save back for the inflation. This double profit is going to have to be had to account for the he double whammy we’ll end up experiencing. For anybody who’s on cruise control right now, may want to reconsider in order to not be left behind.

I hate to say it but if you have a hood and run over 75k miles per year, I’d be fairly concerned right now if fuel goes to 5/gal.

Natty Bro and shooter19802003 Thank this.
  5. Short Fuse EOD

Short Fuse EOD Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
    I personally pay extra to drive a hood. I can easily afford it. It makes me :) I don’t think I’d drive a truck for a living if it wasn’t a bad ### ride. I do operate differently than most. I try to book one load at a time at last minute or even enjoy sitting for a great rate. I’ll wait a day no problem. Catch up on hours and relax. Living in my flat top 389 is better that being on a vacation. Cost me almost nothing to sit after bills been paid. My bills are paid for in 5-6 days for the whole month.I’ll put myself where there are not enough trucks and haul for a fantastic rate as the broker is worried of loosing an account. You can squeeze the life out of a broker when they are desperate. Funny thing they are so thankful for you to help ‘‘em out. Even at 5+ a mile. I have done some terrible grocery warehouse loads that nobody wants. Broker over paid me on purpose my detention so I’ll take the run again. Had the weekend off and want to go out on Monday? Don’t book a load. Check the boards at noon when they are sweating. You’ll still work, just later in the day and you will make more from a greedy inexperienced broker that didn’t initially pay enough on the load. I do not run for the sake of running. I make much more the way I operate now than when I was leased on to a carrier running hard for average rates. I don’t think I’d ever have a dedicated customer. I would be settling for less money. If I could ever figure out how to have a company driver operate the same way I’d be really happy. Don’t think it will happen, so I’ll probably never have one. Y’all that have a fleet, hats off to you. Y’all really have to roll up your sleeves and sharpen pencils. Much respect.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
  6. Natty Bro

Natty Bro Light Load Member

Nov 23, 2021
    Real estate has gone nuts! I sold my house in Phoenix area recently. Not one generational American came to see it. All Asian immigrants. They all were speculators with cash. I felt guilty selling it, but had no choice. The corporate leaders, bureaucrats, and politicians in this country have sold our country and children's future out. Most people don't understand how bad it is but they will feel it soon enough.

Anyway, getting into RE is tough now. You cannot compete unless you're rich. Trucking is becoming similar. I stopped by to see a friend at a Florida trucking school and every student there was a Haitian immigrant. I'm not exaggerating. Of course, most won't make it and will be in and out of the industry, but it's a little discomforting seeing this knowing that American kids would rather do drugs and dream of becoming TikTok stars instead of doing something honorable like working to save our country from being taking over by international resources.

I digress....

7. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    We haven't seen the beginning effects of what inflation will look like. Once they finally figure they have to raise interest rates it'll get real ugly.

8. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    I've deleted some political posts from this thread. If any more appear the thread will be closed or moved to Politics. It's up to you guys.

9. Natty Bro

Natty Bro Light Load Member

Nov 23, 2021
    You deleted a pretty fair assessment of what's happening in regards to oil and ESG. Politics and Economics go hand-and-hand and should be factored in when considering to buy a huge asset like a truck. You're not helping the OP by hiding the reality.

10. shooter19802003

shooter19802003 Road Train Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Idaho
    It's going to happen more and more. As things get worse....which they will.....politics will play a much bigger role in day to day lives. No getting around it. Not letting folks discuss issues, doesn't make them go away.

11. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    I agree that politics are a big part of just about everything but you guys are missing the point. Any thread that contains political content eventually turns into arguments. The arguments escalate and before too long they turn into insults when two sides don't agree. That defeats the purpose of the thread every time.
    We've found that the best thing to do to keep things civil is to have a separate place for political statements. That keeps the thread on target and doesn't offend anyone.

Use our Politics section if you want to make political statements. That's what it's for. That section is lightly moderated and the usual bickering, name calling, personal attacks, and other assorted juvenile behavior is allowed.

This isn't open to debate. Further political comments anywhere but the Politics section will result in penalty points and eventual banning.

Like I said, it's up to you guys.

Studebaker Hawk Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.