Shut down troubles

Discussion in 'Western Star Forum' started by sdiamond, Mar 26, 2012.

1. sdiamond

sdiamond Bobtail Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Grayson, KY
    I have a 1999 Western Star it trips a breaker in the dash marked "start". It will sit and run some times for hours fine and for no reason shut down. As soon as you turn the key on it trips this breaker. I've changed breakers, checked and cleaned grounds, checked wiring under hood and dash. After it shuts down it might sit 10 minutes or it might take a couple of hours with nobody touching anything it will be fine for a while then back to the same thing. I can't make it trip nor can I make it not trip. LOL I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. truckmechanic

truckmechanic Medium Load Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Hi Desert Ca
    You've got an intermittent short in the accessery wiring.Probly only does it when it vibrates and rubs just right.I would pull the dash apart and follow all the harnesses to see if you can spot sonething.same goes for the harnesses around the engine and under dash area,fuse block,and fire wall also you might try the wiggle test.while its running shack harneses and wires see if you can get it to shut down to try and pin point it. Check behind ignition switch. I once had a cummins doing the same thing turned out to be a white for a add on near the altanator rubbed through and would POP the breaker intermittently.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.