Side loading an excavator video. Would you do this?

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by Cat sdp, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Nick34

Nick34 Light Load Member

Jan 12, 2019
    Well I guess if it's the only option you gotta do what you gotta do

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavy Hammer

Heavy Hammer Road Train Member

May 1, 2013
    In purgatory
    Uh, no.
    Think your thought through...if you deflect 8" and are left with 6" of ground clearance after loading AND you supported the trailer with 8" of blocks, you have BOTH; a math problem, and a jammed block problem.

With 8" of ground clearance and a 6" block with the air suspension dumped, the block will be jammed until you lift the air suspension, then you should have 2" of clearance to remove the block.
    Yes, no big deal with an excavator, but riddle me this Batman, with a dozer that doesn't have a boom to push on the ground to lift the blocked side, how do you get the block out?
    by listening to Hammer, cause he's done this before...

beastr123, cke, not4hire and 1 other person Thank this.
  4. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    Ripper. Or walk past center until trailer tilts the other way. Or lower dozer on to blocks if for some reason it was loaded rear end first.

Tug Toy, cke, MACK E-6 and 3 others Thank this.
  5. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    I back up at an angle, let one grouser on ones side catch then start to turn them just back her on. To unload I back them off and use the blade to ease them off. I’m not a fan but it’s not always up to me. One of the very few things they ever override me on. Still haven’t done it on the new trailer.

6. Heavy Hammer

May 1, 2013
    In purgatory
    I guess you don't checked my background, so I'll help ya...
    I own the equipment, all of it. If you think I don't care about my equipment, you're cookoo for Cocoa Puffs. Anyone who's even seen my unit knows that. And $80k wouldn't be enough for a down payment on a new replacement of my trailer.

Just because you don't have the experience or know-how to do something correctly doesn't mean it can't be done. I don't know all the details of how to move an 800,000kg load, but it got done this week. I would never tell those guys it can't be done. In fact, I volunteerily go help some of those guys that I know that do that, just so I can learn. They're the ones who taught me to do it right. That's why I know how to do a lot of things I should never know how to do. I go help, annoy them with a million questions, and don't tell people who know more than I do they're wrong, UNLESS I know they're wrong and can back it up with WHY.
    So don't just tell me I'm wrong, I won't listen. Tell me WHY I'm wrong and we'll discuss it. And if I am, I'll admit it.

If in your OPINION that it should never be done, that's fine. But that doesn't mean the directions I gave above are wrong or that I don't care about anyone's equipment, because that's just blasphemy.

AModelCat, beastr123, cke and 4 others Thank this.
  7. Heavy Hammer

May 1, 2013
    In purgatory
    That'll work, yup.
    Same with JD's way, but that also means adding load capacity to the unblocked side, which is what supporting the outter rail eliminates.
    There's several ways, I just hate moving things more than I have to...or otherwise said, I'm a fat lazy child of an unwed mother...

beastr123, cke, not4hire and 1 other person Thank this.
  8. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    I have only had to do it three times on my current trailer, and each time it was with an excavator.

One time because my tractor went down, and I use wet kit and have removed the pony motor, hence I could not unhook the neck. I had one more machine to get after completing a job in Montana on the forest. It was December and I purchased another tractor to get by and get my hoe home before winter set in.

Both of the other times I could not load/unload off the front due to the risk of damaging fresh asphalt. It was in the summer and hot. Had it been in the winter with frozen asphalt it would not have been a problem. If scratching the surface is an issue then tires or some junk plywood works, but not on fresh asphalt in summer temperatures.

And I own all the equipment, including what I am hauling.

AModelCat, cke, not4hire and 3 others Thank this.
  9. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    That was my point. BTDT. Well, not me, but a friend.

Really. I just helped fix the problem. ;)

Manually increase the air to the suspension (if the trailer and truck don't have that provision, which mine did).

cke, Oxbow and Heavy Hammer Thank this.
  10. Heavy Hammer

May 1, 2013
    In purgatory
    Did I do it wrong above?
    I'll go check. I didn't verify my work, Mrs. Swinston wouldn't be surprised, lol. She was always giving me crap for that.

Edit: I had the math right. I have no idea how much a tri axle crushes with 60k. I haven't hauled anything that small in years. On my trailer, I don't think it would delfect 2"

I haven't been parked where I could have a beer in 3 days...I'm in withdrawal, cut me some slack

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    beastr123, cke, LoneCowboy and 2 others Thank this.
  11. Heavy Hammer

May 1, 2013
    In purgatory
    Hey @not4hire, if you know anyone in TX with a stepdeck that has a highboy load coming north with some weight avail, I will need my 20' deck shipped back north.
    I've got someone shipping my rail to Houston for me for my next load

cke, not4hire and Oxbow Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.