Simple Question, is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by gameaddict73, Jan 1, 2007.

Is it worth it?

1. *

Yes!

57 vote(s)
    64.8%
  2. *

No!

32 vote(s)
    36.4%
  1. xiipercent

xiipercent Medium Load Member

Mar 19, 2007
    ok - everywhere i Go , I ask people about there experience's as 0/0

the guys who are out there doing it seem to be making great money-

the people here , are co. driver's , who say it's not worth it-

it's a statistical problem to come up with a decent outcome if o/o is the right thing to do-

for example, - i spoke with one o/o who has his own truck and trailer(flatbed) , who does'nt move his truck unless he's getting 2.2 a mile

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cecil72602

cecil72602 Bobtail Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Alamo,TN
    I have been asking myself the same question lately. I work out of a dedicated terminal. I pull tankers and the product we haul can only go into these tanks. No backhauls,come back empty. talking to our O/O they average 98 cents a mile then add fuel surcharge. That is there and back. Right now fuel surcharge is 25 cents(on the trip up, no surcharge coming back)a mile on top of 98 cents. Of course as fuel go down or up surcharge changes. Looking at that 1.23 loaded and 98 empty. I WONDER????

BabiBoi357 Thanks this.
  4. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

Having been there and got the Tshirt, unless that guy has a very good handle on specialized freight he is doing a lot more sitting than he is hauling. That does not pay the bills.

I've also talked to the same kind of BSers that had the same freight on their trailer that I did and that load DID NOT pay their $2 minimum per mile they claimed to never move for.

Thumper Thanks this.
  5. handsomedave

handsomedave Bobtail Member

Jun 8, 2007
    Hey Cletus,

Your grammar gave me a splitting headache. To read your posts, anyone with an I.Q. of over 90 has to get a translator. A ####### to english translator.

Please. try not to have any children.

Yours truly,

Handsome Dave

6. bob smith

bob smith Bobtail Member

Mar 24, 2009
    silver springs nv.
    good thread. here is my situation.i am a heavy equipment operator/ truck driver.i gave up my cdl 13 years ago because of a jippo owner that promised all,and delivered nil. also i missed being away from my family too much. i currently went to a truck driving school, through the employment dept. but got kicked out for standing up to the instructor.[ junk equipment, too many students, no end in sight,etc...]i have my permit,but without a truck to pass the pre-trip and drive test,i am no closer to finding work. i have a friend who owns a fairly new tractor and flatbed trailer. we have talked about putting it to work, but i must check things out to see what would be the best way for me to go. i do not have the capital to put the truck on the road.i would appreciate any info about what it takes to accomplish this.the truck is paid for so there would be no overhead there.it is in very good shape and would be reliable.one obstacle is only having a permit.the truck is in idaho, and i need to finish getting my cdl in nevada. then we would like to put the truck to work between here and there. any help would be greatly appreciated.

7. Thumper

Thumper Medium Load Member

Aug 22, 2008
    being a oo can be fun or the most hated thing you can do.
    When i had my truck the good times where good runnin where and when I wanted.
    But when the motor droped and cost me 27k I didnt like it to much :(
    Depends on your contacts,how you run etc. Just dont be one of the guys that buy a truck and get there own authority then sit home all the time because your the boss.
    The first few months you will have to work harder then you ever did as a company driver to get money in the bank for breakdowns,fuel etc.
    Best bet is to have a few bank accounts 1 for maintence 1 for your pay 1 for the rest to cover truck,ins and all the other bs then if you got a wife like mine you need one for her to see and the rest of the money goes elsewhere :O

andrew5184 Thanks this.
  8. Thumper

Thumper Medium Load Member

Aug 22, 2008
    hit the nail on the head if you got to take something that pays crap to get a better area do it

andrew5184 Thanks this.
  9. Dukefan8408

Dukefan8408 Light Load Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Amarillo, TX
    NO! It is completely not worth it. Unless you find a company that pays you 2.00 a mile and then give you discounted prices on fuel then you might be in a good field, but most companies want to pay you 1.00 or less a mile and you just cannot make the money you need to stay afloat unless you team but who wants to team and have your life in other peoples hands?

10. BabiBoi357

BabiBoi357 Light Load Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Birmingham, Al.

I like the direction, your traveling, I too, traveled the same road. Eureka Lodge #1, Savannah, Ga.

11. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Now it's not just rate per mile but the miles you get . Things are getting tough and miles are dropping drastically . This is not a time to be burdened with a truck payment .

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.