Sit or bounce?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by cnsper, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    primarily one woman; but overall a committee chaired by that woman, with men and women on board. bunch of lames. "we have been doing it this way 63 years and this is what we do"
    ~its 2017, no one walks around a summer ag fair eating a loaf of rye bread out of a plastic bag.

we end up with tons of some items left over, yet still ask everyone annually to make lots more. the hot items (1/8th sliced pineapple on a stick- I special order those from south America, ultra high sugar content, way more tasty than the grocery store has) Chocolate covered bacon (as I said 7 years of pressure from me) chocolate covered frozen bananas (not my idea, but they are good) move and sell out every year
    [side not: fair closed after 20 minutes Friday nite and parade was cancelled bc of torrential rain, chocolate covered bacon sold out last nite anyway]
    and yet, some fluffed up dumb ### always wants to "well its a lot of work and its hard"
    ~its a fundraiser, sack up sugar tits.

I quit being a trustee for the church because that's how the trustee board ran. 9 people, most of them upper crust people that never lived on a budget. spend money on pet projects, while I have to write personal checks to cover the ####ing heating bills they don't have money to pay.
    un-####ing-real.

Lepton1, tony97905, VTech and 7 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    That food sounds delicious. You're right put chocolate on anything, it will sell.

cke and wore out Thank this.
  4. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Wow, sounds like we have had a similar experience.
    Everything was so far buried in a committee that nothing was done for so long. Then it was so late it took twice the resources it should have.

5. Ruthless

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    from my experience on that and other boards: not a lot gets done when its a group of volunteers having a meeting with no hard deadlines or personal penalties for delay/disaster.

passingthru69, cke, wore out and 3 others Thank this.
  6. soloflyr

soloflyr Medium Load Member

Nov 6, 2009
    Houston, Texas
    Glad to hear folks feel this way, leaves more freight for those of us who live here & helps drive up the rates for us.

Now at the risk of costing myself, I would suggest that you are looking in the wrong places for decent paying Texas freight. I don't do sticks & bricks, shingles or any of the other cheap commodities. I do a fair amount of OD loads, but even if it's a legal flatbed load I make pretty decent money on it.

7. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Your conversation puts me in mind of the truckers strike conversation.

"All trucks should park on this date!"

Hold on amigo...what exactly is it that i am parking for?

"For better treatment for truckers!"

But not all of us are mistreated.

"For better wages!"

Some make better wages.

"To get the DOT off our backs!"

Some of us have no issues with the DOT.

"For a raise in the minimum wage!"

I haven't made minimum wage since I was 16. Why should I be concerned now?

"To stop the double brokering and limit brokering to 10% of the pie!"

Now, you got my attention. Where do you want me to park? Middle of I285? I95between DC and Baltimore? I610 and i45 junction? I90 in Chicago?

"No Six. Just park your truck in a parkinglot."

Oh...I though you wanted to get people to notice. If I park in a parkinglot, no one notices. If you want noteriety, you don't need all trucks to park, just two. It's like the Sith in StarWars. So if we all go fishing on the same day, the world will take notice? Thing is, I don't think Swift and JB are gonna park now....

Highway Sailor, Lepton1, cke and 5 others Thank this.
  8. Ruthless

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    Yah.

I'm with the "don't talk about it: be about it"
    Get direction, move forward and formulate a plan, move forward faster and take action. Do something.

Not that I'm supportive of dictators: but I will say, when one person has absolute control, they tend to get things done. Good or bad, things get done.

9. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    Bounce. I used to sit and wait for that "one" load, until I figured out its cheaper to bounce than sit. I can't stand sitting around, idle hands...

Dallas was a real hot market for awhile, its back to the same old same now.

One thing that wasn't said yet, markets go hot and cold all the time. Typically with no real reasoning behind the ups and downs. If you're gonna ride the spot market you really have to pay attention, what was good last week might be completely worthless today.

Lepton1, noluck, soloflyr and 3 others Thank this.
  10. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Everyone's circumstances are different and I'd never ? Another drivers decision to move or sit and hind sight is 20/20 .
    About this time last year i sat in Laredo for 5 days refusing to move at cheap rates until I finally Got a good load out .
    Looking back I'd have been farther ahead to put it in wind .

11. noluck

noluck Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2011
    greenville,sc
    I generally give it a half a day to a day. Unless I know it's an absolute black hole for freight. Then I pack up and start rolling. A lot o the guys who sit hauled too cheap coming in, and can't justify the extra cost to go home. Imo

sawmill and Ruthless Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.