Skills test parallel parking cone distance?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by cavechavez, May 11, 2012.

1. cavechavez

cavechavez Bobtail Member

May 11, 2012
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    I'm coming up on my scheduled skills test in a week and Im staying after work setting up cones and practicing in our yard. I'm testing in a 3 axle rig with a 28' trailer. Im having a really tuff time finding out what the total length of the space is for the parallel parking portion. Keep in mind the tractor and trailer both need to be within the cones when parking is complete here in New Mexico. Does anybody know the distance by chance?:biggrin_25511:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    Did you check the Drivers test booklet?

Or on their web site?

4. cavechavez

May 11, 2012
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Yep... but no distances or measurements given. Just the layout.

5. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    Get to your tractor/trailer....measure them out, and set your cones so you have extra space front and back....make it look like what you have been using.

the biggest thing is to know and understand is what movements occur when you manipulate the steering wheel, and how fast the trailer will respond to the changing movements.

cavechavez and Hammer166 Thank this.
  6. cavechavez

May 11, 2012
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Yeah, I figure I just give myself about a 6'-8' cushion of extra length. I feel like I've been nailing it pretty okay with usually one pull up on my blind side but parallel parking to the drivers side isn't going as good for me for some reason. I figured parking to that side would be easier...:biggrin_2556:

otherhalftw Thanks this.
  7. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    Try standing on your head when you do it from the sight side (driver side)....LOL:biggrin_2559:

8. nicholas_jordan

nicholas_jordan Medium Load Member

Mar 31, 2012
    temple texas
    until you have several hundred hours in a particular T/T then what exactly the distance is will be hard to gauge ~ main thing is dont get flustered and if you have to get out and look that is part of backing, never to into city delivery where you cannot observe backing distance yourself as I have never had a "watcher" with enough experience to flag correctly

9. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Here is what we have here in Maine. Test A, U is the front of the truck, the rest are for the back of the truck.

A test is a straight back test. Straight back out of the cones and keep the trailer straight to where the nose of the truck is clear of the rear most cones.

B test, Truck is pulled forward from the last of the A position and the back of the truck is to clear the cones. When you pull forward it also shows that you can do a low speed lane change. The cones to your right represent a solid wall. You back through the 10x10 box and blindside into a parallel parking spot or also considered a alley dock. Truck and trailer can not go through any of the walls. The 3 feet at the end is a telephone pole by the dock.

C test, after completing B, you are to straight back and then pull forward parallel to the wall. The truck is to come to a stop at the indicated U. This test is to test your ability to dock at a building whose dock is on the side of the road. You will back the truck in a arc to your right, you can not pull forward and put the truck further out for a better line up as that is idiots going 55 and wont let you put the truck there. So you back up and the LTL bar is to be with in 10 inches yet not greater than 3 feet (inside the 10x10 box to that solid wall from the B test). When the trailer is to the "dock" the cab is supposed to be at a 45 degree to 90 degree relation to the trailer.

I squared the cab for extra points. The idea is that the lane of traffic you are blocking has room to get around you.

Mind you, this is what is required for the state of Maine for their "yard tests". We were using day cabs with 40 foot trailers.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 11, 2012
    otherhalftw Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.