Skills Test

Discussion in 'May Trucking' started by bwwhitt, Sep 7, 2013.

1. bwwhitt

bwwhitt Bobtail Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Glendora, CA
    I've seen the aerial image of the MTC Phoenix yard and was curious to know what sort of skills tests I will be given, like alley docking, parallel parking, etc., as I have orientation set for Sept 17. Any and all help will be extremely appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Blue02celi

Blue02celi Road Train Member

Aug 3, 2007
    Melbourne, FL
    check the threads below, lots of people that have posted the orientation process

4. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    They will utilize some of the same techniques demonstrated in this helpful video. The "blindside backing" instruction in this video is extremely useful as well as all the other tips offered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAP-uAPrgzU

LoboSolo Thanks this.
  5. northoceanbeach

northoceanbeach Light Load Member

Apr 4, 2007
    they make you blindside back?

6. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    Yes, a figure 8 with a blindfold on.

You will also be required to do a full pre-trip inspection in reverse, using the Spanish language.

7. northoceanbeach

Apr 4, 2007
    Shoot, I knew it was bad, but I didn't know it was that bad. lol

In all seriousness, do they make me run through the pre trip? Where I got my license, I had to memorize 96 items and they were super picky, although this was the DMV.

8. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    When you go to school memorize your pretrip an hr or so after school.The school I attended,I would do some studying after school and pretrip the trks we used and practiced me shifting with the simulator they have.Also read books and watch videos.Theres a lot you have to know

9. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    When I went to work for May a few years ago I was NOT required to do a pre-trip inspection, other then a walk-around checking the lights, that's it.

I was NOT required to a DOT physical, only to provide the long-form of the one I had done a few weeks before at the driving school.

I WAS required to do a pee-test, which they did on-site and paid for.

The skills course is a cinch. Jersey turn, straight back and 45 back. That's it. Road test was no big deal.

I really wouldn't sweat any of this stuff.

northoceanbeach Thanks this.
  10. northoceanbeach

Apr 4, 2007
    Thanks. I didn't think so. I'm not too worried. If I know what I expect I'm always more confident. When I was first out of school and went to may I was pretty nervous then though. Thanks for your info. I feel good about my driving ability and I'm sure the tester has seen alot of people of all different abilities take the test. I'm sure he is an expert at what he does and can judge well who can drive and who cannot.

I was just reading about another company and the driver got sent home for not doing a duck walk with a weight under a table properly. If I'm going to duck walk I want to know in goin I duck walk lol

11. Paloma

Paloma Medium Load Member

May 15, 2012
    Portland, Oregon
    Also .. When ya do the backing, GET OUT AND LOOK (G.O.A.L.) as many times as you want, thats what they want to see. Relax, take it easy and you will do fine.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.