Skipper by Palomar

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Durango0005, Aug 9, 2009.

1. jessejamesdallas

jessejamesdallas Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Yep....Mexico. Least some are...There must be several company's building Amp's and sticking the Palomar name on them because I have seen some that say Made in China too....Guess since for the most part they are advertised as a "CB Amp" which are illegal anyway, why not go ahead a steal the Name too while at it!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. WA4GCH

WA4GCH Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Seminole Florida
    They feel the name is ON LOAN .... they will give it back some day :biggrin_25513:

4. Turbogus

Turbogus Light Load Member

Oct 16, 2010
    Philomath, Oregon
    Was recently reading an online review of the Palomar 250, according to the article Palomar hasn't produced amps since the 80's, and went on to say that there were companies in China (go figure) that're slapping the Palomar name on copycat amps.
    My last Palomar I got was about 5 years ago, not old enough to avoid the made in China terror I think.

5. WA4GCH

WA4GCH Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Seminole Florida
    BOOTLEG is the name of the game from China ...

6. dmag

dmag Light Load Member

Jul 6, 2009
    charlotte,nc
    was reading this on another forum about palomar.

Well as we all Palomar got busted in the late 70's early 80's and went out of businessWell as we all Palomar got busted in the late 70's early 80's and went out of business. Well according to H&Y Electronics I was told that the son of the orig. Makers of Palomar Linears is now making linears under the Company name of TEXXCOMM.. Well according to H&Y Electronics I was told that the son of the orig. Makers of Palomar Linears is now making linears under the Company name of TEXXCOMM.

hyelectronics com/NEW-MOBILE-PALOMAR-BY-TEXXCOMM/productinfo/PAL-450E/

7. jessejamesdallas

jessejamesdallas Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Yep...Yep...Like I said, Like I said....some from Mexico, and some from China....Some from Mexico, some from China....:biggrin_25522:

8. k8cpa

k8cpa Bobtail Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Lincoln Park, Michigan
    I know about this, because I was in the business. I still have my contacts; but I have not been in business for a long while.

On Palomar. The Original Palomar electronics in California is GONE, DEAD, History. Most of the people that built those things are DEAD.

There are three different versions of amps carrying the name Palomar today:

1. The Palomar "Blue Faced" version: Those are built by a man named Gary in Washington State. They use the name Palomar and Cobra --- depending on which distributor you got them from. They are built very well.
    2. The Palomar "Black Faced" Version: These are, in fact, built in Texas. They were originally built by an old man named Vernon. He was, I am told, one of the original engineers for the original Palomar company out in California. He has since died. His son was also killed in a hang gliding accident. For a while, some of his employees ran the business. However, they quickly found out that they could not do it very well. I believe someone bought out the original business and is now selling the black faced versions again. They were Marketed as Palomar Elite on the west cost, Superstar in the Northeastern US, and Boomer in the South. The 225 Model was called the "White Tornado, Shooting Star 225 and Palomar Elite 225.
    3. Other Palomar Amps: There are a few other versions that are made as well, with difference faces on the front. Those are mostly made by small builders out of California and surrounding area.
    Hope this clears all that up.

From the Artist formerly known as Chuck@Chucks2way.com :biggrin_255::biggrin_2559::biggrin_25522:

9. Tugboat369

Tugboat369 Bobtail Member

Nov 16, 2010
    Wilmington DE
    I have the same amp that I use in my RV with a 3.5 Watts drive i get about 108 watts dead key on AM. The same amp could have the Cobra or Galaxy name on it they also make a 350 mod and I have the Galaxy 350 in my pickup I get 248 watts on am and 357 watts in SSB. Both units are built for ham but have been modified for 11 meters. They are very clean if you do not over drive them When I turn them on I turn my mic gain down a little.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  10. WA4GCH

WA4GCH Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Seminole Florida
    Ok.....

You lost me what unit was built for HAM use ?

I built one based on the boomer 400 for 10 meter mine is a FM class "C" amp.

It puts out a clean 300 watts FM on 29.600 mhz. I could not find a "HAM "
    Amp so I built one from a pile of parts both new and scraped. I have worked Germany from the car on FM simplex with it both on and off he heard me +20 with it and S 7 without.

11. Tugboat369

Tugboat369 Bobtail Member

Nov 16, 2010
    Wilmington DE
    Both units were built for 10 meter and had the local shop modified for 11 meter both of the units are A B class sound clean and sweet. I am not a radio expert and will not open any of my units that is what the local shop is fore. And I have been dealing with them for over 30 years.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.