Skipper by Palomar

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Durango0005, Aug 9, 2009.

1. WA4GCH

WA4GCH Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Seminole Florida
    Most don't know that before 1976 you could run just about anything you wanted on the ham bands CERTIFICATION of amps did not begin untill after that. SO any amp was legal for ham use within limits .....

What bands do you run ?

I can be found on 2 SSB ......

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Silver_Fox

Silver_Fox Bobtail Member

Jan 7, 2011
    West Alabama

I've got a few radios, but no antenna farm. At home, I will occasionally listen to 75 meters in the evenings, mostly around 3.965 mhz (Alabama Net) and 3.975 mhz (Georgia Net). On the days that I play truck driver, it's CB am with a near bone-stock Galaxy DX929 (Schottky/2sc2999 receive mod). I assume by "2 SSB" you meant 2 meter ssb? If so, I tried that nearly 30 years ago, a Kenwood 7400, I think, made a few contacts and sold it due to lack of band activity. Shoot, they even shut down our best local 2m fm repeaters. The closest active hams to me, that I know of, are about 50 miles away in the nearest large town. Local ham interest around these parts, like CB base stations, died out years ago. BTW, I'm way off-thread here, but you asked.

4. WA4GCH

WA4GCH Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Seminole Florida
    No doubt 2 is not very active ..... but I'm bull headed and run a local net.

The 2sc2999 mod works wonders on many radios almost all gain with no noise .... I work a bit on 20 meters there is a net on 14.300 you might be able to hear between 7am and 12pm weekends I try to check in.

anytime you would like to give it a try get hold of me.

Attached Files:

5. Delta 1

Delta 1 Bobtail Member

Nov 11, 2016
    I just picked one of these (Skipper) on eBay for $100.00 nice condition 100*% operational.. I know the thread 6 years old, I was surfing the web, and landed here.. merry Christmas to all ..

6. Meteorgray

Meteorgray Heavy Load Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Thanks for passing by. Let us know how that little Skipper is working.

7. Delta 1

Delta 1 Bobtail Member

Nov 11, 2016
    Will do.. thanks for the reply.. 73

8. lildon

lildon Bobtail Member

Jan 23, 2016
    I had a Palomar 350Z model. It had a 10,15,20 and 40 meter band switch,it also had a high and low input switch (1-10 watts) was low drive and (20-40watts) for the high drive. On the high drive position it cut off the 2 driver tubes and just ran thru the 4 tube final. It worked alright,still dirty as compared to my Ten-Tec equipment KI4ZTX-Don

9. Horse Trader Base

Horse Trader Base Bobtail Member

Jun 24, 2020
    I have a linear that looks exactly like a Palomar 250 or 300 watt. But it’s completely blank!! It has absolutely no writing no logo. Nowhere on it. How can I Tell if it’s a real deal Palomar

10. Central_Scrutinizer

Central_Scrutinizer Light Load Member

Aug 30, 2019
    There is the old Palomar Engineers company who made ham gear only and still makes RF stuff. Totally different bunch from the amp in this post, right?

About Us - Palomar Engineers®
    "Palomar Engineers was founded in 1965 by Jack Althouse (K6NY). In 2013, Palomar Engineers was acquired by Susan Kline (President) and Robert Brehm, AK6R, Chief Engineer." It's a different company, as far as I know never made "CB" amplifiers. Do not call them about the amp in this topic.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.