Sleep and Laundry

Discussion in 'Central Refrigerated' started by DSmythe, Jul 12, 2013.

1. DSmythe

DSmythe Bobtail Member

Jul 10, 2013
    Hey peeps, does anyone know how the sleeping arrangement works during driving training. There is going to be a week or so i'm sure before a trainer will have confidence in you. Do you both sleep in your seats, if there is a bunk do you alternate? And how do you get laundry done.

mje Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. coastie

coastie Road Train Member

Most cases and rare if not there will be 2 bunks. You as the trainee will have the top bunk in most cases, rare you will get the bottom. Your trainer should stop and do his laundry so you will do your same time. If you need to do it mention it to your trainer that you need to get it done soon, that your about to run out of cloths. I had to do it often since GreyHound lost my bag on the way to SLC and I basically had to buy new cloths as needed till I finally got home.

Always avoid sleeping is the seats up front. Bad habit to get into and not as restful.

mje Thanks this.
  4. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Anytime you are training you are in a truck with two bunks. Some companies will train you for your first 50 hours behind the wheel where the trainer has to be awake and in the passenger seat, thereafter you qualify for team driving.

During team driving by law anytime the truck is in motion you have to sleep in the bottom bunk with the net securement in place. If the truck is not in motion you will likely be sleeping in the top bunk, the trainer gets the roomier bottom bunk. Be prepared to be athletic getting into the top bunk. Rock climbing skills have been known to be an advantage.... ;)

Every time you put at least 50 gallons in the truck the truckstop chain will apply one shower credit to the rewards card. When you go inside to get a shower and redeem the shower credit they will always ask if you have a codriver that wants a shower. Usually you will be able to shower every day or every other day in a private room with toilet, sink, shower, and place to put your shower kit. Towels and soap are provided. If you shower at company terminals be prepared with your own towel and soap.

Regarding laundry, if you are going to be taking a break at a truck stop, then laundry is almost always available. Cost varies, but plan on spending about $4.00 to $5.00 per load for both washing and drying. I've always been able to do laundry about once a week. Keeps me in good supply of clean clothes and reduces any chances of odiferous malfunctions. It's a good idea to have a coated nylon bag to keep your dirty laundry. Mesh bags or cotton bags can lead to a locker room funk in the truck (I know because my trainer was fond of keeping weeks worth of dirty laundry in cotton bags out in the open.... :( )...

mje Thanks this.
  5. DSmythe

DSmythe Bobtail Member

Jul 10, 2013
    thanks for the info, much appreciated

mje Thanks this.
  6. TruckerPete1990

TruckerPete1990 Road Train Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Bentonville Arkansas
    Lepton1 there is no law saying you can't sleep on top bunk. It's most company policys. You just got to be buckled in..

mje Thanks this.
  7. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    ... I stand corrected.

Actually, I tried sleeping in the top bunk in a moving truck before, and it is not a pleasant ride at all.

mje Thanks this.
  8. Wanderingaimlessly

Wanderingaimlessly Medium Load Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Los Angeles, Ca
    I refused to sleep in the filth my trainer had going on. I slept up top for 2 months while rolling down the road.

mje Thanks this.
  9. passion4polishing

passion4polishing Road Train Member

Mar 7, 2012
    Tampa, FL
    Trainers should be required to have their truck inspected before they pick up a student. Not a search, but just a cursory glance and sniff test. My trainer was a neat freak about the truck, so I didn't have any problems with the sleeping arrangements. He even had a blanket over the bottom bunk when I was in there so we didn't have to share sheets, and bought new sheets for the top bunk that he gave me at the end of training. Really good guy, and made training as pleasant as possible, considering we were cell mates for a month.

mje Thanks this.
  10. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    In addition to showers and clean laundry, it is not a bad idea to keep the dirty laundry bags as clean as possible. Also, keep the birthing space of your truck as clean as possible, along with keeping it well ventilated. It is your home away from home.

God bless every American and their families! God bless the U.S.A.!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  11. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    You were very fortunate to have the trainer that you had.

Good luck to you.

God bless every American and their families! God bless the U.S.A.!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.