Sleep Apnea Confusion...

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by J Man, Aug 17, 2018.

1. J Man

J Man Medium Load Member

Dec 31, 2011
    Middle of nowhere
    Company mandated an at-home sleep study, I came back with mild OSA (AHI was 11, no apnea events but I had low O2). No instructions on how to proceed except work gave me a CPAP and is docking my pay for it. Great...

So I've been trying to sort out this mess, trying to track down who prescribed it, how that Dr. got my info in the first place because I never signed any HIPAA releases, how to track my compliance, the whole nine yards.

Question I have is that I'm finding in my reading that DOT considers Moderate and Severe OSA to be a concern that needs treatment. I can't find anything saying minor has to be treated with a CPAP. But I could be looking in the wrong places because it seems DOT has gone back and forth on this ruling.

I just renewed my clean med card before this study was done. Is it up to the Dr that I got my med card from to decide if my minor OSA needs CPAP treatment, or does the Dr my company apparently gave my test results to get to decide now that I need CPAP? Is my current card still valid or do I need to get a new one? I have no intention of going to the company Dr to get my med card, I see my family Dr to get that done.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Their is not D.O.T standard. They tried to pass a law but never did. Your medical card is good till it expires. When you renew it they will want to see a sleep report that shows you have been using it and your AHI numbers are 4 or less. 4 or less AHI is considered fixed or normal.

5-15 AHI is mild sleep apnea. They count OSA has to be 10 seconds of not breathing is 1 Event. So at 11 AHI is 110 seconds of not breathing per hour or just under 2 minutes per hour.

The people that gave you the home study test would be who prescribed it. I'm guessing the trucking company doctor. They download the data or the home study test sent the data wireless back to them. The CPAP machine has wireless modem inside or they can hook one to the machine. It sends the data every morning back to the people you got your CPAP from. Then they can see if your using the CPAP and if your AHI is going down. The goal would be AHI of 4 or less is considered normal for everyone.

You can get a heated air tube it help a lot I think. If you use humidity it stopped water from pooling in the cold air hose. In the winter it can get cold in the truck. I don't like breathing cold dry air. So I go the heated air hose and run humidifier.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  4. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Compliance is normally 4 hour use per night. That the medicare standard most seem to go by. The more you get use to sleeping with CPAP you will use it all night your AHi should drop. My cpap has a display you can see every morning when you stop the machine. It displays the hours and AHI. I had 8 hours and my AHI was 0.6 that how good they work. My AHI is less then 1

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. J Man

J Man Medium Load Member

Dec 31, 2011
    Middle of nowhere
    Brandt, thanks for the answers. I'm confused though, according to the FMCSA site "The disqualifying level of sleep apnea is moderate to severe, which interferes with safe driving." If I have mild, why do I need CPAP treatment to get a medical card? Is that just the ruling of the company DR and so now it is what it is? Or if I talk to my personal DR (who issues my DOT card) and he doesn't think I need treatment for mild does that counter what the company DR said?

6. J Man

J Man Medium Load Member

Dec 31, 2011
    Middle of nowhere
    When I did the home test it was the middle of allergy season for me. Stuffy nose. I read that will mess up the home test. I asked to re-test but they said no. First night on the CPAP machine and it never recorded any events, perfect score. Honestly, I don't think I need the machine at all. It is going to be expensive to get a 2nd opinion on my own dime, but if my family DR says he has to have me on CPAP now that another DR prescribed it I'll have to bite the bullet and get tested by the hospital where I live. What a pain.

7. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    The FMCSA never made ruling on CPAP that I know of. They spent several year talk about it and wanted to make a rule like you said about it had to be moderate to severe for them to require a CPAP. They almost made the ruling but stopped at the last minute. Now the doctors kinda just decided for themselves and if someone has even mild sleep apnea they say it need to be fixed.

My understanding is if anyone has even mild sleep apnea and they go to a doctor saying they don't sleep well they would treat it with CPAP. 5 AHI or more is the magic number they use for anyone. Now that it out as a possible reason for driver being tired, they screen for it more and say 5-15 AHI is considered sleep apnea so they will say it needs to be treated since the FMCSA never passed the law on the point of treatment for sleep apnea.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    Even if you pay for a retest and they say you don’t have sleep apnea you still may have to use the machine.

A0D392B2-A20F-46ED-B896-C2EB2391B5B9.jpeg

4D8F7F63-7307-4F6E-B446-E0537EA62FE4.jpeg

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    They say the home study test are not as good as sleep lab. I don't know if having alergalle would stop you from breathing. They could I guess if you normally breath thru nose and nose was clogged from allergies. Then it may look like you stopped breathing plus make oxygen levels drop that night.

Their is a program called SleepyHead you can take the SD card out of your CPAP and actually see yourself breathing all night. You can see every breath and see if you stopped breathing

SleepyHead CPAP Review Software

Your CPAP should show you a number every morning I guess even 0.0 if nothing happened

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. 06driver

06driver Road Train Member

May 28, 2017
    Get a lawyer, get a Doctor to say you do not need this (industry says 15 events). Sue the ever loving dog piss out of the company, the doctor, and the equipment provider.

adayrider and americantrucker89 Thank this.
  11. J Man

J Man Medium Load Member

Dec 31, 2011
    Middle of nowhere
    I really don't understand this stuff. I'm going to try and get in ASAP to speak with my family Dr. He does my DOT card, not the quack my employer tries to refer us to. So it must come down to what he says? If he says I don't need the CPAP and will issue me a med card without it then I'm good. Otherwise, he could probably tell me what my next step would be.

And yes, allergies keep me from breathing through my nose, and the home test only checks nasal breathing, not mouth breathing.

jraulpilot1998 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.