Sleep apnea dot certification question.

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Dark_Majesty_06, Jun 2, 2014.

1. truckerdad57

truckerdad57 Light Load Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Batavia, IL
    NO the new exam trumps and invalidates the previous exam.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. truckerdad57

Nov 29, 2008
    Batavia, IL
    You have hit on a question that no one can get a straight answer on.

How long is a sleep study showing no sleep apnea good for?

The questions for a medical examiner include.... 1) What king of sleep study was it? A cheap home sleep study.... or the more expensive in-lab PSG. 2) Has your medical history and clinical indicators for needing a sleep study changed since the study was done? example have you gained or lost a lot of weight.. developed diabets or high blood pressure. 3) How definative was the "you don't have sleep apnea" results? was it marginal (AHI near 5) or clearly no apneas.

The latest advisory from FMCSA doesn't address this topic.

Sorry but this is one where the individual medical examiner has a wide range of latitude on what they can and will do.

4. truckerdad57

Nov 29, 2008
    Batavia, IL
  5. Dark_Majesty_06

Dark_Majesty_06 Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Poplar bluff, mo
    So I take what that says is that you don't have to have a sleep study unless the doctor thinks you have sleep apnea vs if your fat, you have to do it? Hopefully I interoperated it correctly.

6. Bradmartin316

Bradmartin316 Bobtail Member

Sep 17, 2018
    I'm new to this forum and trying to get an understanding of this sleep apnea. I'm come from sales where I'm on the road just was much as drivers. I take my DOT Exam like the company ask for with 48 hours. After the DOT exam the medical examiner disqualified my medical certificate for a possible sleep apnea and I have no prior history of having sleep apnea.

So what I need some help with is: If i don't take the sleep study it seems that I will not get the job, but if that is the case the employer should pay for the sleep study because they are saying if have sleep apnea. If i have no prior record of sleep apnea how could the examiner make this assessment. I have a huge fear if I take a home sleep study they will find something wrong with that. It seems that they are looking for something when there is nothing there.

If these Medical Examiners are going by whatever index that they use. How do you disqualify someone that never had a history and make suggestion saying possibly, but without facts.

7. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    As long as you give the same info on the forms, you can go to another doc for the exam.

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I have a feeling your doctor works for someone paying HIM or HER.

My doctor is a independent. His life flies or burns depending on the good work he does or fails to do on his own. There is however a affiliation with a major hospital and that's useful for admittance privildges etc but they don't specifically tell HIM how to do a DOT test or hunt for sleep apnea.

When I go to DOT exam by anyone. I say NO across the board. If they want to FIND it whatever the problem is (With exception of vision and Hearing.. those two have a chart from a recent week backing it up..) I dare them to detect the problem. Even today I don't know if I have sleep apnea or not. Apparently not, wife with me over a decade. Not a word about breathing things that scared her. (Nothing like that... BTW she snores too. I track her breathing as well just to check up on it)

I consider the sleep apnea a racket. They apparently found that they can rake in a disgusting amount of money on everything from measuring a neck appointment to all them big old boys in the trucking business who have no neck at all. (Big boys too. whoo.. Im a little one...My family is big but these boys make them look small) Down here in the south they feed em something good I tell you. Not like back home eating a bit of something like a bird at a feeder.

CorsairFanboy and Dark_Majesty_06 Thank this.
  9. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Neck size, bmi, bp meds, age, etc, go into their assessment of whether or not they choose to require a sleep apnea test.

It's their judgment and necks that are on the line more and more from a liability standpoint.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    My BMI usually sits at about 19 or so. It's not much. But if I had a few extra burgers that week it's going to be at 24 in no time at all. (It only takes about 15 pounds to make it 24.

When I was little I had BMI so small I was considered under weight. My deaf school mates in weight lifting helped me with that by teaching me how to eat and I was sorted by 20.

11. Veteran driver

Veteran driver Medium Load Member

Aug 24, 2010
    De Moines. IA
    Same here. Did my recertification September 19th and received a two year card. No neck measurement.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.