sleep apnea/overweight

Discussion in 'Prime' started by NewtruckerDan, Nov 21, 2012.

1. poisonarmy

poisonarmy Light Load Member

Jan 5, 2013
    Madison Maine
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. taylor39

taylor39 Bobtail Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Ft Knox Ky
    I am out of the Army now but when I was in I had a sleep study and was diagnosed with sleep apnea in 2008. I still have a hard time getting used to it and fall asleep without it on a lot of times, usualy wear it about 3 times a weak. I am 5'9'' 215lbs and am still trying to loose weight. My neck is 17" exactly and my BMI is 31, I been reading a lot on this issue and it seems to me that I or anybody else should have no problem having a driving career as long as you use your machine, am I right? Also when I went to get my medical card I was never asked about sleep isues and I never said because I didnt know. I still only get a one year card because im on zoloft for another year haha but thats a different issue. After this cold I have had for a month I am going to wear my mask every night haha. Also if im not asked at orientaion about sleep issues should I say anything bein differeny companies have different standards?

4. chirobud

chirobud Bobtail Member

Jan 8, 2013
    I've been doing a lot of research about this issue. Most of the information is only now being handed out to medical examiners. Some of them do not have the latest info yet. The reality is, most people can solve their sleep apnea by losing weight. Some people might need a mouth guard to help keep their jaw from dropping back closing the airway. If your sleep apnea is not severe you may be able to avoid a cpap machine and just use the mouth guard, but make sure you check with your doc first because everyone is different. Many people like the mouth guard because they don't have to get strapped in like the cpap and they sleep better. As far as having a career, if you are proactive and don't let yourself get worse, there is no reason why you won't be able to drive.

5. SpyderRyder

SpyderRyder Medium Load Member

Aug 29, 2011
    Rice, Texas
    The truth is, FMCSA is not trying to force drivers out that have OSA. The following link states their position on it and they state it is highly treatable. If you have moderate to sever OSA that will disqualify you if untreated. http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/safety-security/sleep-apnea/industry/Commercial-Drivers.aspx

I experienced acid reflux, snoring, frequent urination at night, feeling fatigued when I woke up in the morning, and falling asleep during the day when sitting at my desk. When I started using a CPAP, all those symptoms went away. My first night on the machine was only 6 hours but when I awoke, I felt refreshed and had not felt like that in years.

If you are experiencing any of the symptoms of OSA, please see your doctor. OSA is a very serious condition and can be fatal if not treated. The following link shows that even atheletes can die from this condition. Reggie White and Don Kennard died from it. http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/safety-security/sleep-apnea/industry/Commercial-Drivers.aspx

6. taylor39

taylor39 Bobtail Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Ft Knox Ky
    I have also been told by a doctor that just because you snore doesnt mean you have sleep apnia either.

7. SpyderRyder

Aug 29, 2011
    Rice, Texas
    A sleep study is the only way to find out for sure. Snoring is but one symptom but if you display more than one...

8. taylor39

taylor39 Bobtail Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Ft Knox Ky
    Ha!! Jesus they make it sound so bad that even driving a car is dangerous

9. SpyderRyder

Aug 29, 2011
    Rice, Texas
    Snoring is but one symptom and if you experience multiple symptoms such as I did then that is time to be concerned.

10. Coffeediver

Coffeediver Bobtail Member

Mar 15, 2012
    Kiowa CO
    I am following these threads as I may go into trucking because of threats of layoffs after being at my current job for 17 years. In following these threads I saw the write ups on sleep apnea and being a large guy I figured I would use the good insurance that I have to pay for it. My brother was diagnosed with it over nearly 20 years ago after always being tired when driving. I myself have none of the symptoms. I drive 130 miles a day round trip to work, am never tired in the day and don't snore. But like I said, I am a big guy.

Turns out I have a pretty severe case of sleep apnea and now I am on a cpap machine. Just reading these threads convinced me to get checked out and I'm not even driving yet. Glad I did.

Barry

11. SpyderRyder

Aug 29, 2011
    Rice, Texas
    Congrats on saving your life. It's hard to imagine how many people are suffering and they don't even know it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.