Sleep test?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by dk0719, Sep 29, 2022.

1. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

In my state of TN I believe the doctors office submits their exams to the state and when the state gets notice of those new exams it cancels your old DOT exam. If you haven't submitted your self-certification soon enough after the new DOT exam the state can downgrade your CDL to a passenger car license.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tscottme

Some docs have a private business selling sleep clinic/sleep studies, or they have a partner with such a business. It's a conflict of interest, but it's legal. Maybe the sleep study requirement is based on the doc's desire for money or maybe it's genuine. This comes up fairly often so make sure to read all the replies or search for older threads. There is probably a way around this. Once thing I learning is that it's usually safer to get your DOT exam from a Chiropractor than lost of MD offices. Often Chiropractors are also leery of the medical industry and they are not looking to send a patient to every possible medical office for any problem. Good luck.

4. tscottme

The most recent DOT medical exam is the "real" medical exam.

Rideandrepair and CrappieJunkie Thank this.
  5. tscottme

The will give you a sedative for the sleep test. Apparently sleep clinics have fixed "banker's hours" and even if you have been sleeping days for 20 years or whatever, you have to sleep on the schedule of the sleep clinic for them to do their job. You are not the first person to not find that sleeping with wires glued to your head is not how you sleep well. Once you do the test you will have proof you don't have sleep apnea. The doctors runs the system and also help makes the rules. It doesn't have to be fair.

6. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    I did mine at home. I went to the office. Got the equipment. Hooked it up, slept, dropped it off in morning and follow up appointment.

Rideandrepair and tscottme Thank this.
  7. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    look AND listen......good luck.

8. tscottme

Cool. I didn't know that was an option. I vaguely remember a billboard near Amarillo advertising some sort of sleep test at home that advertised heir website, which I can't remember. I would jump all over a home sleep study. Thanks for posting.

Rideandrepair and CrappieJunkie Thank this.
  9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    play the game, have it done, and then follow the treatment plan because it will come up on your next DOT.

ALSO lose weight.

10. dk0719

dk0719 Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2022
    Ye my company wants to go thru their doctor. So I’m sol ok that one

11. dk0719

dk0719 Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2022
    They offered me an at home one but I have too many #### questions on how it worked…. Like I roll over in my sleep occasionally… what if I get up to pee or something in the middle of the night? And I have a cat what if she decides to play with the wires or something while I’m asleep? Ugh. Doc gave me no answers and was like once you get insurance just go thru your doctor meanwhile I don’t have a doctor because I don’t have health insurance until I get this new job. Lovely

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.