Sleeper Requirements

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by chamilton67, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Midnight Rider Transport

Midnight Rider Transport Bobtail Member

May 8, 2015
    little truck = little repair bills, and I get 14 mpg loaded.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. flatbedcarrier

flatbedcarrier Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    (a)(2) Shape. A sleeper berth installed on a motor vehicle on or after January 1, 1953 must be of generally rectangular shape, except that the horizontal corners and the roof corners may be rounded to radii not exceeding 10-½ inches.

This is the part that found those back seat sleeper kits to be legal. Had a DOT officer here at my place for an audit. We had him look over and measure both sleeper kits. After he reviewed the regs he said they were both legal. He said if someone was to get a ticket for the measurments being off that they should fight it and have the Judge look at this section of the regs.

I realize this is a post from 2010 (not sure if you did Midnight Rider?) either way it never hurts to update them. We ran trucks with both of these kits all over the country and none of them were ever ticketed. We did however have a few DOT officers at scale houses and at roadside inspections comment about how neat they were. And back when this controversy was going on several of us asked to see the tickets some guys had claimed to have gotten for these sleeper kits, nobody ever produce one for us to look at.

As far as I know Crecabsleeper.com went out of business. Last time I tried to call them they never answered. I think Woodhouse is still making these kits? Most guys didn't like the idea of hacking the interior doors apart though, so they opted for the other kit. Or a behind the cab sleeper.

4. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!
    Little repair bills? I could definitely argue that.

LGarrison and KANSAS TRANSIT Thank this.
  5. wedge542

wedge542 Light Load Member

Aug 13, 2007
    roll tide
    no sleeper required for a hotshot, log it off duty never sleeper birth done it like this and no problems YET

6. Terry270

Terry270 Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2014
    BG, KY
    No point in trying to talk sense to a guy that thinks he's getting 14mpg loaded lol

KANSAS TRANSIT, LGarrison and truckon Thank this.
  7. LGarrison

LGarrison Road Train Member

May 19, 2011
    Sandpoint Idaho
    To be honest I can get 14 mpg and better loaded going down hill with a tail wind. most of the time it's in the 10 range.

truckon Thanks this.
  8. Terry270

Terry270 Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2014
    BG, KY
    Ive managed nearly 14 loaded also but I don't go around telling people thats what I get. My average for the year is 10. Because in the real world there is wind, hills, parachute loads and winter fuel to deal with

LGarrison and truckon Thank this.
  9. lastone in

lastone in Light Load Member

Apr 5, 2014
    Plano, TX.
    If I can leave Indiana and return and get at least 10-11 mpg I consider that a good run. Best ever was 14 going down hill from Truckee, Ca to Sac.

10. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!

Pulling RVs and returning empty you should at least average 14 mpg. If your not you need to look at your equipment and driving habits closely. Because your definitely doing something wrong.

RVTransporter Thanks this.
  11. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    I got 14 MPG once. It was a bulk load of helium-filled ping-pong balls. You should have seen the mess when the scale-master decided to inspect it. That's when I called the U.S. Marshals...

KANSAS TRANSIT Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.