Sleeper Requirements

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by chamilton67, Oct 5, 2010.

1. LGarrison

LGarrison Road Train Member

May 19, 2011
    Sandpoint Idaho
    no need for any further comments truckon said it right

truckon Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mchlshltz

mchlshltz Bobtail Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Midnight

I know this post is from a while back. We are looking at purchasing a sleeper from woodhouse an wanted to know what you thought about your purchase and any problems at all with being compliant since your post?

4. Star4900

Star4900 Medium Load Member

Mar 16, 2015
    Northern Ontario
    Me too. Shop rates and parts prices at Ford and Dodge dealers are more than what I pay at my Freightliner/Western Star dealer. And on my pickups, tires, brakes, wheel seals, pinion seals all fail more often and oil change intervals are shorter.

And for fuel mileage my best pulling RV's from Indiana to Canada was with my 6.0L Ford. I could get 20 to 21 MPG empty and 13.5 loaded. Was way better than my Ram/Cummins.
    Would never see that now with these new DPF engines though.

5. TN_Chief

TN_Chief Bobtail Member

Jun 2, 2015
    NC
    Star4900 Thanks this.
  6. Agreatsource

Agreatsource Bobtail Member

Aug 1, 2017
    Hello, fellas/gals
    Currently, I'm in the hot shot business and wanted to share dot requirements for sleeping berth. 1st the less modifications to your hot shot the better. When dot see hot shots they're more tedious and do there best to find anything and everything wrong. I'm CDL holder so weight is no issue but if you're traveling out of your state pls do your logs and watch your weight if you're not a CDL holder. 2nd you can buy truck air mattress for the back seat. It's comfortable and I sleep just fine. When your done deflate it and put it away. Make sure you log properly and you won't have any problems with the dot. Lastly, I would like to add I have a microwave, hot plate, laptop, printer, n 22 inch flip down all in my hot shot. Ive saved ton of money. You have to change out your back seats or modify them so you can have storage underneath that's completely hidden to have all of those things. Oh yea, I have a 2000 watt inverter installed with its own power source/batteries separate from the truck

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You do not.

You put a sleeper on somewhere or buy a rig big enough with a sleeper.

It has to have a sleeper purpose built for humans. A back seat is not a sleeper.

8. Agreatsource

Agreatsource Bobtail Member

Aug 1, 2017
    Of course a back seat isn't a sleeper lol!!! Therefore, you can't log it as such. The purpose of the air mattress is to avoid modifying your back seat and being scrutinized by the dot about specs. Everyone must obey dot regs and must have proper logs to avoid citations. To ensure your inline with dot make sound and rightful decision according to the rules. Most importantly, be safe and get your rest.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.