sleeper size laws?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Freebird135, May 13, 2009.

1. Oi!

Oi! Road Train Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    Hey, about that, if you get pulled into the chicken coop, how do you scale? I mean, a sleeper pulling a set of doubles is already hitting the edge of the scale, how do YOU fit then?!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Flightline

Flightline Road Train Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Almost There
    You pull on till you get the green light or usually they tell you to pull up and they supposedly add the numbers up if their checking the gross. I think most of the time, they must only be checking axle weight.

Thankfully I have a prepass box and don't go in much. But it really doesn't create much problem, just few more seconds on the scale.

4. bgxpress2006

bgxpress2006 Light Load Member

May 25, 2013
    Montreal, Quebec
    as soon as I find it I will post it. There was an amendment to the law in july of 2012 I believe to accommodate room for Apu's and anti idle equipment. With the newer trucks having urea tanks and dpf systems theres was no more room on the frame rails to accommodate such equipment and that is way 283 is know accepted.

5. killroy

killroy Light Load Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Kenner, La.
    They don't want you to be comfortable??? Screw em, that's why I won't go there. No longer go to Ca. Ether. As far as I'm concerned it can fall into the Sea.

6. Cetane+

Cetane+ Road Train Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Albany, NY
    Heres the link directly to the amendment from the gov.on.ca site
    http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/source/regs/english/2012/elaws_src_regs_r12167_e.htm

So copy that Flightline, so the next time you go that way you should do better. On further inspection it says on 2005 and newer trucks can be up to 7.2 meter(283"). So it might not help you, sorry.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
    bgxpress2006 Thanks this.
  7. Bigbunkbones

Bigbunkbones Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2021
    my truck has 144 inch sleeper on it with a shower and toilet. I am 82.5 feet long from front bumper to tail light plus overhang when pulling my car hauling trailer. You can see it at do YouTube channel trucking with bones. I am legal in all lower 48 states because my king pin to center of rear axle set is less than 39 feet. That includes Florida and Connecticut. No over length permit required for the truck itself. Some states do require an over length permit for the load because my load hangs off the front and rear of the trailer.
    Florida Montana Idaho and Washington are the only states that issue over length permits for the load when the load itself is divisible. And for the record I’ve driven all of those states with zero issues as well as the rest of the lower 48 with a big sleeper truck

8. njwoods

njwoods Bobtail Member

Sep 8, 2013
    Maximum wheelbas ein Canada is now 283", with most provinces still only allowing 75' overall length -- so longer wheelbase =shorter trailer

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.